Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Marriage as Bedrock of Soceity?

There will always be a degree of conflict between those who feel the law should be enforced as written and those who argue for what they feel to be a superior moral vision that transcends mere legality.

Since we all have different ideas about what the higher good is, The temptation will always exist to assign base motives to the other camp. I don’t think the immigration debate is necessarily one between racist xenophobes and smugly superior virtue-signalers any more than I think the abortion debate is one between superstitious theocrats and people who hold life cheaper than ideology.

Unfortunately, it appears there is good money and political advantage to be gained from promoting the alternative approach. I think there will always be a certain amount of friction between policy and morality, and we seem to be in one of those periods where formulaic insult is prevailing.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    There will always be a degree of conflict between those who feel the law should be enforced as written and those who argue for what they feel to be a superior moral vision that transcends mere legality.
    In all fairness, Republicans take a buffet position on which laws to enforce or follow; they pick and choose on environmental, banking and tax laws, voting rights, human rights, etc. Just as with the silly elitist label righties hang on the rest of us (who is more elitist than 47% Mitt Romney and his car elevator?), they embody the "four fingers pointing back at you" meme.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    In all fairness, Republicans take a buffet position on which laws to enforce or follow; they pick and choose on environmental, banking and tax laws, voting rights, human rights, etc. Just as with the silly elitist label righties hang on the rest of us (who is more elitist than 47% Mitt Romney and his car elevator?), they embody the "four fingers pointing back at you" meme.
    I would never claim that selective enforcement or smug self-satisfaction were the sole province of any one party. Although I would say some high profile gaffes about bitter clingers and deplorables were made publicly while Mitt’s remarks about the 47% were not, but furtively recorded and released.

I would never claim that selective enforcement or smug self-satisfaction were the sole province of any one party. Although I would say some high profile gaffes about bitter clingers and deplorables were made publicly while Mitt’s remarks about the 47% were not, but furtively recorded and released.
    Say what you will about us, no one can call us sneaky!

Personally I don't see equivalence in judging people publicly for the content of their character versus judging them at a private event for the content of their tax bill.

Hillary specifically called out four categories of people she felt were deplorable. If anyone would like to defend those categories, by all means, I'd love to hear it. I'll warn you though, unlike the leader of the Republican Party I don't consider any nazis to be good people so you will need to put together a more compelling argument than he did.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Say what you will about us, no one can call us sneaky!
    Except for the ones doing the furtive recording?

Except for the ones doing the furtive recording?
    Please, that guy had the shield of the Kennedy name behind him. We dont dis Kennedys.

kidding here because it seems to me that our current cultural climate doesnt hold them in awe as we once were forced to.

Thread Information