Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: “Too concerned” friends

Interestingly, my diving-related friends have been more genuinely helpful than the church friends. When I had car battery issues lately and posted about it on FB (almost made me late for the dive boat!), a diving friend offered to help me get a new battery - on Labor Day and installed it in my car on Labor Day. I hadn't asked for battery help, the offer of help was just extended.

When I've posted requests for help with moving a piece of heavy furniture or for a loan of a correct sized tool to change my license plates, it was all diving friends who responded - none of the church friends did at all.

That's why my favorite church in New Jersey was a small congregations of misfits.. homeless, multiple ethnicities and races, just a "come as you are" vibe.

I kind of miss them, now that I think about it.

Tradd, your friend was totally off-base. As others said, you responded very appropriately. God wants people filled with "enthusiasm" ("The word originates from the Greek ἐνθουσιασμός from ἐν and θεός and οὐσία, meaning "possessed by [a] god's essence")

Your passion is diving--you are in church, close to God, under the water.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    Some denominations don't even hold services in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    That's why my favorite church in New Jersey was a small congregations of misfits.. homeless, multiple ethnicities and races, just a "come as you are" vibe.

I kind of miss them, now that I think about it.

Tradd, your friend was totally off-base. As others said, you responded very appropriately. God wants people filled with "enthusiasm" ("The word originates from the Greek ἐνθουσιασμός from ἐν and θεός and οὐσία, meaning "possessed by [a] god's essence")

Your passion is diving--you are in church, close to God, under the water.
    That's what crossed my mind--there's nothing more spiritual than immersing yourself in nature.

A minister once said he would rather someone be on their boat fishing and thinking about God than to be in church thinking about fishing.

I call them "the nametakers." We have one who constantly calls to attention those who are not there. But it is OK when she takes a weekend off.

It is interesting that none of your church friends would help out. Ask her about the depth of the baptismal and who created the rest of the world according to her view?

Just love her. Know yourself as being all that you can be and let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    It is interesting that none of your church friends would help out. Ask her about the depth of the baptismal and who created the rest of the world according to her view?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Now that I think about it, most of my diving friends are guys. Church friends mostly women, a few widowed or divorced. So since the diving friends are mostly guys, it makes sense they would be more forthcoming with things that required muscle or loan of tools.

Thread Information