Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: “Too concerned” friends

“Too concerned” friends

This could go under Spirituality, but it’s also more about relationships. This is a vent.

I’m not at church much in from after Easter through late October due to diving. Maybe 1-2 times a month. Close friend is retired and very involved. Has gotten very concerned I’m not in church much, Satan is using my diving “passion” to lead me astray, that sort of thing. Friend is an older woman who is very attached to her Eastern European ethnic heritage (born in US) and pays much attention to spiritual figures popular in her country of heritage. Very conservative and traditional.

I just thanked her for her concern and said I’m doing fine. but what I find interesting that there are others we’re close to who are gone from church often due to extensive travels, a sailboat hobby, etc, yet she had no response when I asked her if she was concerned with these others missing services a lot.

Just venting. People can get weird ideas in their heads.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Religion does strange things to people. If there is a god I imagine your actions and living the kind of life most religions follow is the most important thing. Being kind, non judgmental, generous and living an honorable life are far more important than sitting in a pew, don’t you think?
    Last edited by flowerseverywhere; 9-5-18 at 2:41pm.

That is plain weird to be concerned about your hobby but not others. If she brings it up again tell her to mind her own business)

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    That is plain weird to be concerned about your hobby but not others. If she brings it up again tell her to mind her own business)
    Or to worry about her own soul. ("Satan is my dive buddy?" Really?)

Isn't necessary religion. Try living in a senior community with many people that have too much time on their hands. Or an HOA with too many seriously interested in their neighbor's lives. They are mostly bored and nosy.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Isn't necessary religion. Try living in a senior community with many people that have too much time on their hands. Or an HOA with too many seriously interested in their neighbor's lives. They are mostly bored and nosy.
    That's what I'm afraid of...

I found that once I was widowed or 'solo', people felt much more inclined to pass judgement on my life and my choices. I felt defensive and annoyed at first.

Tradd, you handled it with grace, see it as an interest in your well-being by someone who has too much time and too few distractions to keep busy Redirect their attention.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    ("Satan is my dive buddy?" Really?)
    Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Or to worry about her own soul. ("Satan is my dive buddy?" Really?)
    Haha! That’s a good one! Needed the laugh.

This is one reason I never go to church anymore.

Thread Information