Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: FIRE "Financial Independence, Retire Early"

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Originally Posted by Teacher Terry
    Ldahl, people have different levels of intelligence and other factors that come into play. Not everyone is capable of doing it on their own.
    Sure but don’t programs already exist for them?
    Some of the people to whom I believe Terry refers have physical or mental complications which are not covered by any of the UBI proposals I've seen. In addition, most of those programs are administered by the states (with additional "input" by counties), vary widely in their implementation and coverage, and are subject to being political footballs -- anything but "universal".
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Some of the people to whom I believe Terry refers have physical or mental complications which are not covered by any of the UBI proposals I've seen. In addition, most of those programs are administered by the states (with additional "input" by counties), vary widely in their implementation and coverage, and are subject to being political footballs -- anything but "universal".
    I think it’s the universal part that could be problematic. What would happen if the single biggest issue in every future election becomes the size of the dole?

As to different approaches being taken toward poverty in different locations, as a federalist I find that healthy. I see no evidence that some All-Father in Washington has a superior vision.

As to different approaches being taken toward poverty in different locations, as a federalist I find that healthy. I see no evidence that some All-Father in Washington has a superior vision.
    That was the theory behind Block Grants - that states would be able to use federal money as they see fit. In reality, however, it became an excuse to cut the funding for programs severely and take that money and use it for other things.
    http://www.latimes.com/business/hilt...tmlstory.html#

Here's another take on the topic.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...s?srnd=opinion

Williamsmith
    ”.....glaring injustices in the way capitalism functions.” “The rich retire richer.” “If you’re going to downsize, it helps to have size to begin with.”

LDAHL....you keep reading that crap you are going to start feeling sorry for the poor.

Maybe the have a career, put in some 40 years, save money, maybe buy property, get a pension, retire mid-60s actually was the ideal. Just increasingly unachievable. So the crazy multiplies and multiplies, who doesn't move states every few years chasing jobs, who doesn't own rental property, or at this point who doesn't own rental property in states they don't even live in thousands of miles away! Who doesn't have some (often dubious I suspect) "side gig" because you know just holding down one full time job is too staid, you need to have a full time job and several other projects going. This is what the ambitious people who really are likely to succeed in retirement do.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    ”.....glaring injustices in the way capitalism functions.” “The rich retire richer.” “If you’re going to downsize, it helps to have size to begin with.”

LDAHL....you keep reading that crap you are going to start feeling sorry for the poor.
    I do feel sorry for the poor. I have somewhat less sympathy for some kid who went to college on his parent’s dime, worked 8-10 years in a high paying job and then decided work just wasn’t for him. I’d rather not be paying for his avocodo toast when he’s broke in twenty years and starts whining on his blog

If UBI was different in every state I would not support it. Welfare did that and years ago in Wisconsin people moved over the border from Illinois to collect higher welfare. I thought some European countries as well as Canada tried it as a experiment but I could be wrong. If everyone collects it then the rich can’t bitch. Something needs to be done as the income inequality that exists is not sustainable. Years ago a CEO made 25xs what a worker made. Than it went up to 40 and now it’s 400x’s. Something is seriously wrong with that.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    If UBI was different in every state I would not support it. Welfare did that and years ago in Wisconsin people moved over the border from Illinois to collect higher welfare. I thought some European countries as well as Canada tried it as a experiment but I could be wrong. If everyone collects it then the rich can’t bitch. Something needs to be done as the income inequality that exists is not sustainable. Years ago a CEO made 25xs what a worker made. Than it went up to 40 and now it’s 400x’s. Something is seriously wrong with that.
    My understanding of a UBI is that everyone of a certain age or above gets the exact same amount. Doesn’t matter if you are a billionaire or homeless.

WS, yes exactly what I support. But it was mentioned on this thread that it might vary by state. The proposed ages are 18-64.

Thread Information