Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: FIRE "Financial Independence, Retire Early"

UBI + medicare for all = freedom and choice like we Americans have never dreamed of

The proposed ages for UBI is 18-64. Everyone keeps their Medicare and all social programs are eliminated. Most people don’t want to be on benefits and not work. How do I know? Because I worked in a voluntarily program that helped people get back to work and we never had a shortage of clients including people on benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    The word for that is “universal basic income”.
    Somehow I don’t see that as satisfying as accomplishing it on your own.

With the money they save by eliminating all the programs it might equal out and then people would be in charge of their own lives. However, lots of jobs would be lost in the process to all the people employed to run the programs.

I'd be cautious about cutting the programs as people rely on them now. And no I'm not under any ridiculous illusion that they pay enough to live off of or more than full time work now (though food stamps and the like supplement wage sometimes, we know that). It's not a great safety net, I just wouldn't want to end up with less than we have. So supporter of UBI, in theory oh yes, so much pointless work anyway, in practice though, I don't know, and the U.S. may be the wrong place to test it. But automation as a quickly approaching issue, almost certainly. Nixon's suggested program would probably be the best way to start, it wasn't entirely universal, mostly family centered, and it wasn't really instead of all other social programs. But it was a basic income proposal.
    Trees don't grow on money

You might see revitalization of more rural low cost areas in which you could work a low paying job and still be able to make it. It would help one parent in a family to be able to stay home for a few years. Honestly studies would need to be done to see if it was better for people. However, so many have a agenda so no clue if a honest study and opinion is even possible.

Ldahl, people have different levels of intelligence and other factors that come into play. Not everyone is capable of doing it on their own.

DH and I both greatly reduced our work hours when DD was born (he was in his late thirties, I in my early forties.)

We officially "retired" several years ago and moved to Oregon.

Health insurance has been a real problem - less so with ACA as I have some pre-existing conditions. Here in Oregon we have found an affordable plan (less than $10k per year.) In CA we were paying nearly $25k per year (including DD.) We have both been thinking a lot more about our health and fitness - it's a lot easier to eat clean and take healthy exercise when you have all the time in the world.

Our expenses have decreased dramatically, primarily because we moved from San Francisco. We were spending a mint on transportation alone. I don't think about money much, but I can't imagine any circumstances that would leave us destitute.

I love being able to work or not, as I choose. DH has kept up his work as a musician, but only doing the stuff he loves (no grueling tours or crummy students.)

Weve had no problem finding ways to fill our days. I love our little city and the incredible wilderness it sits in. A bigger problem is over-scheduling ourselves. So many cool things to do!

We're so amazingly fortunate, and very grateful for it.

Note: I was in my mid-50s at full retirement, and fully vested in my pension. So, not such an early retirement - but then, I really enjoyed my work.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Ldahl, people have different levels of intelligence and other factors that come into play. Not everyone is capable of doing it on their own.
    Sure but don’t programs already exist for them? Depending on how generous the UBI program was, wouldn’t we need to consider the potential dangers of creating a large parasitic class? Even the magical kingdoms of Europe haven’t attempted such a thing.

Thread Information