Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: FIRE "Financial Independence, Retire Early"

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Here is just one of a million videos that explains why single-payer universal healthcare is not just a Communist plot or a pipe dream by people that believe in unicorns.

Jim Carrey is an idiot and I can barely watch him, so nothing he says about a political point will convince me. I did just finish watching with in the past half hour his turn on the finale episode of the Larry Sanders show, probably the best Carrey piece ever done.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Jim Carrey is an idiot and I can barely watch him, so nothing he says about a political point will convince me. I did just finish watching with in the past half hour his turn on the finale episode of the Larry Sanders show, probably the best Carrey piece ever done.
    I don't see him as an idiot, but I respect your right to believe he is. But I don't see half of Canada arguing for a healthcare system that costs more than any other country by a long shot and has poorer health outcomes than 37 of them.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I don't see him as an idiot, but I respect your right to believe he is. But I don't see half of Canada arguing for a healthcare system that costs more than any other country by a long shot and has poorer health outcomes than 37 of them.
    But, but...the share holders!

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Are US healthcare-industry public companies significantly more profitable than other sectors?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Are US healthcare-industry public companies significantly more profitable than other sectors?
    You would know better than I.

You would know better than I.
    I haven't found that to be the case. If they are making profits out-of-line with the profitability of other sectors of the economy, they hide it pretty well.

So I am dubious when people start hopping up and down about the profits.

The ACA capped insurance profits, but no one seems to remember that or recognize it. We continue to blame the evil greedy insurers.

Is There something wrong with shareholders wanting to make a profit?

I can tell you that the margin in not-for-profit HC is very low......expansion of services required by new technology takes every penny available. The demand for single rooms was very expensive. When patients refuse doubles, we have no choice. Competition for employees is tough if you're not the only show in town and that drives wages up. Patients demand MRIs....there are now 7 in our valley among the various facilities and these things are booked 24/7. Back in the 80s NFP hospitals had 17-19% margins for reinvestment......Now we're lucky to have 2-4%.

No, again the nature of the beast. That's why companies with a vested interest in selling their products may try to influence supposedly unbiased thought leaders. Is there anything wrong with that?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/08/h...gtype=Homepage

A decade ago, a series of scandals involving the secret influence of the pharmaceutical industry on drug research prompted the medical community to beef up its conflict-of-interest disclosure requirements. Ethicists worry that outside entanglements can shape the way studies are designed and medications are prescribed to patients, allowing bias to influence medical practice. Disclosing those connections allows the public, other scientists and doctors to evaluate the research and weigh potential conflicts.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information