Thread: Pantry Clean-out

Pantry Clean-out

Was going to post in the 1.75 challenge thread where this topic sort of originated, but thought it was too much of a detour.

I actually got a good portion of my pantry cleaned and organized last night! (yes, I surprised myself as it was sooooo hot I didn't really want to do anything - lol) The sad part is that there were canned food items in there as old as 10 years from the Best Buy date as well as some dried wild onions from 2006 - sigh. Well, anyway, I've checked all the canned goods and dried foods and have the majority of stuff organized and ready for consumption. There are a few things I might restock just a bit more, but mostly I need to eat down what is there.

Anyone else doing pantry clean-up?
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

We're good about rotating in the pantry so no clean-out here. Nothing in there older than 1 year except my canned salsa and tomato sauce.

I did however find a bag of severely frost-bitten sliced smoked turkey it's gotta go.

Over the years, we have whittled down our pantry items to just what we use regularly. Canned tomatoes, beans, a small amount of pasta, tuna, oatmeal. Spices probably need a good going through but some other day...

Everything gets eaten within 6 months. I clean out the pantry regularly.

Well, I'm going to now!
    As soon as I have a chunk of time without DH in the house...

Yppej
    I did this within the past year - used up all the spices among other things and have now started using buying/using fresh new ones. Now I am trying to use up other things like perfume and lotion samples.

Found a gallon jar of lentil and soy beans each. Guess I need to hop over to the food/recipes thread and find some recipes.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

This is inspiring, and the pantry will be targeted next month or two for a clean-out.

In the meantime, in a similar vein, I cleaned out my medicine cabinet. Had OTC medicines that expired several years ago. Used my 20% senior discount at Walgreens (first Tues of every month) to replace a few, so now everything is fresh and usable.

Thread Information