Thread: I told my counselor the big story

I told my counselor the big story

And she was so supportive,

I realized that the turning point in this job was a very specific time and event in January. I am still not sure what I would have done differently, and my counselor agrees that there is not anything clear I could have done different. If I had known where it was going I guess I could have quit, but I was pretty well targeted by that point. I was ready to think I really didn't need to keep up with counseling (yeah I know, duh) and then had a night where I woke up so anxious I had to take medication again. I haven't taken the fast acting stuff in 3 weeks. I may need a little longer huh,

It just feels good, and the online counseling has been working well. I am spending about $250 a month and can email as often as I want to. She responds usually about 24 hours, sometimes a little longer but always feels in a good time. People are noticing how I look better, how I even sound better on the phone.

Good counseling is well worth the money.

I'm glad you got validation from your counselor. I had a good experience with a guy I saw briefly almost two years ago now. It took me two full sessions just to get through the whole back history. And he was so supportive/empathetic/validating. I had started to wonder if I was blowing things out of proportion. He helped me see that wasn't the case, that it was legitimate for me to be hurt/scarred by things that had happened. I stopped seeing him after a few weeks but it was so important for me to have that support at that time. It's hard to work through traumas when you feel so alone/isolated.
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

Thank you lhamo, I agree that having someone from the outside tell you that you are not crazy and that there was nothing else you could do is so healing. I had the EAP counselor for 5 sessions while I was still in it, then another in person counselor for 4 sessions before going to online. It is helpful because the last thing I want to do on a new job is ask for special scheduling.

And the other thing about counselors is that I think they help you see growth opportunities from the experience. I was pretty much into the story that I was broken by this and it was semi-permanent. However I am seeing the growth and how I am becoming more myself pretty quickly with the support.