Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Impossible Task

Have your husband clean the guest room. Hire a kid to muck out the stalls. Grab your muse and get started on the pottery. There, done.

I don’t know any kids who are willing to clean stalls. Even my farmsitter’s family hires the job out to a guy with a front end loader. You can’t get a front end loader into my stalls. I am not comfortable with an ad.

also, I feel a little like my grandmother, who insisted on going up and down her staircase every day until her late nineties “it gets harder, but if I stop, I will never be able to do it again.”

if I knew a competent, willing kid, I would hire them to help me.

dh can’t clean the guest room without supervision because he has literally no idea where any of the spread out mess goes. He can vacuum and fix the bed if I do the rest first. I am willing to skip the vacuuming and hand my inlaws a set of clean sheets. They invited themselves.

My friend and I would clean out horse stalls every Saturday at a horse riding stable in exchange for a free hour ride. That way we didn’t have to spend our allowance. But kids are spoiled now. We used a bunch of day labor guys when we landscaped our back yard. The job got done in just a few weekends and at the time our yard was a 4th of a acre. The downside was no one had a vehicle so DH had to drive them both ways and I made everyone lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    My friend and I would clean out horse stalls every Saturday at a horse riding stable in exchange for a free hour ride. That way we didn’t have to spend our allowance. But kids are spoiled now. We used a bunch of day labor guys when we landscaped our back yard. The job got done in just a few weekends and at the time our yard was a 4th of a acre. The downside was no one had a vehicle so DH had to drive them both ways and I made everyone lunch.
    We did that with DH’s coworkers, documented Mexicans. They moonlghted on weekends and we hired them for a big job, deove them to and fro, gave them lunch.

I recall recovering from a back injury and not being able to iron. My ex's dress shirts for work really needed to be ironed. I tried to call some of my friends I knew when I homeschooled thinking that one of them would have a child who wanted to do some ironing for pay, and no one knew how or wanted to. So then I sent my ex to the dry cleaners because I knew that they would do shirts, and he said they didn't. When I was up and moving I picked up the flyer proving they did shirts and then taught him how to iron. I ended up taking walks while he ironed because he would struggle so much it was hard to not jump in. Sigh, all that niceness from me probably explains why I am divorced though!

Okay the point was I couldn't find a teen or someone who wanted the work,

There are more and more farms around here going to large round bales or selling square bales only from the field because they can’t find enough people willing to load hay bales onto wagons at a price that would allow a profit. Last year a friend cut her hay and mulched it in the field because she couldn’t find labor. She ended up having to buy hay at the end of the year, but it was cheaper than what she would have lost renting a baler and not being able to sell the extra because she couldn’t get it loaded and stored.

i cleaned stalls to ride too. I don’t have horses. That got it out of my system. (Also i’m now Banned from riding due to fragile retinas)

getting too tired and too out of breath too fast, but pushing through - water break right now.

This type of work is what the illegals have always done. Keeping them out comes at a cost.

Did stall minimum.

After my my shower I will do some housekeeping and maybe the guest room.

Worked on pottery today. Did not make the kind of progress I wanted, but made some discoveries (learned some things) and wrote them down. This is also progress.

Thread Information