Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Invisible needy

So sad.

I don't know. You get old, you die. Does it matter if you die alone or surrounded by people?

I don't think so. I hope I die in relative comfort, and don't make a mess, but given a choice, I'd rather die alone. I certainly don't want anyone weeping over me.

Dying is a very private matter; it's not like you can take your friends with you.

The thought of dying is sort of like I recall giving birth. I did not want an audience of family/friends right there; it felt like it should be a very private time.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post

I don't think so. I hope I die in relative comfort, and don't make a mess, but given a choice, I'd rather die alone. I certainly don't want anyone weeping over me.

Dying is a very private matter; it's not like you can take your friends with you.
    I half agree with you. I think I'd like to have my dog with me, and if I have a life partner then, I'd like her to be there too. But no one else. I think a fentenyl (powerful synthetic opioid) would probably be a quick and painless way to end it at the very end of life.

When I turn it around, I want to be there when Harlan dies. I want to hold him close, comfort him as best I can, and let him go when it is over.

If I had a life partner, I would want to do something similar to comfort her.

Williamsmith
    One of best groups I know of in my area is Hospice. I have a lot of praise to heap on some of these compassionate people who facilitate a dignified death for so many people. Still, many do die alone but they are used to being alone. Once dead, they don’t care about anything anymore. But many public servants tidy up after them and life goes on.

I agree--hospice is the way to go--literally.

My aunt died alone, napping on her couch. Her adult children discovered her in a day or two. I can't think of a better way to go.

My aunt died alone, napping on her couch. Her adult children discovered her in a day or two. I can't think of a better way to go.
    The "good death". May we all experience it when we must.
    Last edited by SteveinMN; 9-9-18 at 9:09pm. Reason: deleted text; didn't want to hijack thread
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I agree--hospice is the way to go--literally.

Indeed. My aunt was equally lucky. Spent saturday evening volunteering at te VFW bingo night and when her daughter came to take her to church the next morning she was gone.

Far better than the six months my dad suffered in the hospital.

My grandfather came in from a long day of farming, sat in his favorite chair to nap before dinner and never woke up. Perfect. At least for him.

My 90-year old g-grandfather reportedly died chopping wood, and my grandmother keeled over on her way to a club meeting. I'm hoping for my aunt's gentle exit.

Thread Information