Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most influential person you knew personally?

My dad - there was nothing that I could not do in his eyes. Everything had a solution by thinking it through. There was nothing that we could not discuss freely during our long walks together. He was my best friend in my teens as I was setting values and priorities.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    My dad - there was nothing that I could not do in his eyes. Everything had a solution by thinking it through. There was nothing that we could not discuss freely during our long walks together. He was my best friend in my teens as I was setting values and priorities.
    Awwww, that is great! If only all kids could have a father like this.

It’s a cliche, but my dad. By his word and example he taught me that whining isn’t a strategy and self-esteem isn’t something granted to you by others. No matter what he was suffering through at the time, he was able to laugh st himself and the situation. He and my mom raised four kids on little money, and not one snowflake in the litter.

I was lucky enough to have 2 wonderful parents and 2 awesome grandparents on my mom’s side. Lots of great times taking walks, hunting, playing cards and just being together. My dad was always driving all my friends around and this summer they were all reminiscing about how goofy and fun he was. No one else parents bothered with us. The

I think our parents are such enormous figures in our childhood that they are necessarily the most influential, for good or bad.

Aside from my parents, books have had the most influence on my life. I've never been much of a people person.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    I think our parents are such enormous figures in our childhood that they are necessarily the most influential, for good or bad.

Aside from my parents, books have had the most influence on my life. I've never been much of a people person.
    My parents (who were perfectly nice people) served mostly as examples of how I didn't want to live. I don't remember my father giving advice more cogent than "Change lanes well ahead of time." And my mother sagely advised me that is was as easy to fall in love with the president of the bank as it was with the cuspidor cleaner. They were married for over fifty years, and contentedly so, for all outward appearances. I got the not-so-subtle message that children were a joyless responsibility and work required dragging yourself out of bed before the sun came up. So I avoided having children and worked off-shift whenever possible. So--influential, I guess.

Books, now--that's another story entirely. I give credit to my mother for tirelessly reading and re-reading The Blue Teapot to me until I had it memorized, and also for patiently answering "What does this letter say?" over and over. I learned to read very early, probably to her great relief, and I've never stopped.

Craig of Craigslist. We did volunteer work together in California.

He's is truly community-minded and devoted to grass-roots efforts.

Computer nerdy but still very cool and a VERY nice man!

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by profnot View Post
    Craig of Craigslist. We did volunteer work together in California.

He's is truly community-minded and devoted to grass-roots efforts.

Computer nerdy but still very cool and a VERY nice man!
    Now that’s a good answer.

Thread Information