Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: September Frugals!

Another 11 quarts of ratatouille made from the garden and onions/garlic/peppers from our CSA last week. https://www.salon.com/2010/08/07/rat...s_grade_style/

Cool tonight and into the freezer tomorrow minus what is dinner tonight.

Ratatouille! I love it.

I tried to get away without having to buy a nightstand for DH's cpap, but it kept falling on his head from the shelf above the bed, so we went to the town thrift shop and bought a beautiful nightstand for $25.

Also bought 2 gallons of paint to paint over the gawdawful magenta in the bedroom: $5/gallon. It was marked way down because it had been returned to the store after it was mixed. It's very dark--Valspar "Schooner" but for $5 a gallon, I'll make sure I just decorate around it with a lot of white!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Struggling with budgeting.

I needed some clothes for my trip to Japan and wanted capris as they seem to be acceptable everywhere. I found two pairs that fit like a dream for $15 (formerly $40 each) and a washable blouse for $10 (formerly $30). I can roll up these clothes and 3 other simple washable tops along with 4 changes of undies, 2 pair light walking shoes, a Totes umbrella, a rain jacket and toiletries in my carryon luggage. That makes it easy and light to carry and travel.

My dog was licking a spot on his body triggering bleeding. The vet's office tried a bandage but it slid off. i bought an x-small stretchy tank top for $3 that fits beautifully by sliding over this head and placing his feet through the arm holes.. He is comfortable and no longer licking.

I cleaned up some veggies by chopping them - zucchini, onion, peppers, green beans, garlic - place in a Corning dish, drizzle with Greek dressing and microwave for 6 minutes. I take out 1 1/2 cups and sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on top. Easy supper and nothing gets wasted
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Ate lunch out yesterday AND today for our anniversary, used gift cards I'd about forgotten about for both, so other than gas, no added expense. Signed up for the "every dollar" budgeting site and their free trial download of my accounts. I don't know if I want to pay to continue with that but at least the initial input of lots of small charges is free, so I might actually keep up with it now! good score on the capris and shirt, razz! Japan sounds like fun!

Booked a cruise for 8 days and 500 each. Airfare r.t. Only 350 each. Great deal!

Yppej
    I am still getting some produce from my and my parents' gardens. I have not bought any clothes this fall. A lot of the styles are the same or similar enough to last year's I should not look too dated.

September is half-over and I haven't posted here yet.

In preparation for painting some window frames outside, I did an inventory of the paint cans in our basement. Found a few containing paint that's been covered up in this house for years. Found one gallon (!) of a color neither my wife nor I ever remember contemplating though the mix date on the label clearly indicates it was tinted last year. That last wasn't frugal, but I did find the remainder of the gallon used to paint the window frames a couple of years ago, and it's still in good condition, so at least I don't have to try to match the white or go to the store before I tackle that task.

Got some rebate checks from Menard's which will be applied to further purchases there, as soon as today. Replaced a ceiling fan in my rental property by myself; that saved some $$ over hiring a handyperson.

Spent about two hours yesterday replacing light switches on my car (both were failing intermittently). One switch took the promised five minutes to replace. The other took almost two hours, with about one-and-a-half hours of that spent getting the old switch out of the dashboard. The new switch was "adapted" to prevent that WOT if I ever have to replace it. I'm not sure a mechanic would have been able to get it out faster (maybe could have accessed the extra needed tools faster) so I guess at least I didn't have to pay his hourly labor rate (OTOH "book rate" might have served me on this one).

That's about it...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yppej
    Brought in my basil as it was starting to pass peak and am drying it.

Removed the gel polush on my toes myself.

Thread Information