Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low credit score

Low credit score

Sigh, I have done so much work on my finances and I checked my credit score. It is really low. My factors of paying bills on time (great), getting my student loan managed (showing no negatives) and having about 20K in accounts still doesn't add up to a great score. The only advice was to have some credit. I literally have no debt other than the student loan and few bills. My last apartment building started something where you could pay a monthly fee to have your rent reported to the credit agencies. I may have done that if they started it when I was planning on being there a year or so but it was right before I was moving.

So I am going to check out the credit cards with my credit union and my online checking bank that has all my laddered CD's. It would be convenient such as when I rent a car, to have an actual credit card.

Yeah, I think you should have a credit card for emergencies and car rentals.

I just applied with Ally bank since I have a 2nd checking account with them that I put $50 a month in for emergencies and all my IRA CD's. My other option is the credit union where I have a few thousand, at least before I go to the cards that help you rebuild credit which are generally bad deals on rates and fees. That is a last resort but may be temporarily necessary.

Best of luck raising your credit score. THEY don't like zero debt people. Our story?

We've been zero debt since 2010 when we paid off our 2nd home. 3y ago we went to buy a new tempurpedic bed and replace our 23yo leather sectional. Made our choices and went to order/write the check. They offered us 0 interest for 24 months. Well that should not be turned down when our investment accounts are doing well. So we completed the app. 10" later the finance person came back "I don't know how to tell you this".. well, tell us! "They won't approve you for $8500, only $5500" We started laughing....she was stunned. "we have zero debt and can write the check 10x over right now".

It's laughable that one who lives below their means, spends money responsibly can have a trashy credit score. Fact of life! Doesn't matter if you make $20k or $200k. My (retired) sister who has 20% of our retirement account balance has an 820 credit score. Go figure!

So, to raise your score significantly, buy every thing possible on credit with monthly payments to show fiscal responsibility (by their definition). If you pay everything monthly like we do, it will NOT go up.

My credit score hovers just below 800 and has for years. DH’s is always around 826.

We have not paid a dime of interest in 30 years, so the formula for credit score isnt soley about carrying and paying interest charges but I dont know how the score is calculated.

Edited to change DH’s score
    Last edited by iris lilies; 9-9-18 at 7:29pm.

I can't imagine not having a credit card, but recently found out neither my sibling or a nephew have one, being proponents of cash-only financing.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    My credit score hovers just below 800 and has for years. DH’s is always around 810.

We have not paid a dime of interest in 30 years, so the formula for credit score isnt soley about carrying and paying interest charges but I dont know how the score is calculated.
    Well that is very interesting since we paid interest until 2010 and still have significant employment income. Makes no sense ours our lower than yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Well that is very interesting since we paid interest until 2010 and still have significant employment income. Makes no sense ours our lower than yours.
    How do they track income? We dont report it to them. Our income dropped significantly when we retired.

It is somewhat of a mystery how the credit score is calculated, but certainly carrying a buttload of debt, and making each payment on time seems to factor in heavily to a high score. Our friend who was paying 3 mortgages and who was on a super tight budget had the highest credit score possible.

Our other friend who carries $20,000 in revolving charges has a higher credit score than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    It is somewhat of a mystery how the credit score is calculated, but certainly carrying a buttload of debt, and making each payment on time seems to factor in heavily to a high score.
    We don't carry debt other than my wife's car but we do use credit cards for virtually all purchases other than food. The card balances are paid off on time each month and we both have scores in the 800's. I'm no longer sure of the exact number but when she bought her car last year the dealership finance manager told her she had the highest score he'd ever seen, although he may have just been flirting. I do know that her score is slightly higher than mine. She's the family CFO and is kind of sneaky, if something is ever paid a day or so late she ensures it's something in my name.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

We put all we can on our credit card as we get free (well, we do pay an annual $90 charge) airline tickets. Pay it off every Friday. Haven't paid interest in years and years. Credit score usually just about 800.

Thread Information