Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (Moved from General forum) Surrounded by pet loved ones when we die

(Moved from General forum) Surrounded by pet loved ones when we die

Decided to move this from the "Invisible Needy" thread in the Open forum (rather than hijack the thread by seizing on something I already felt was a bit OT).

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight
    I think I'd like to have my dog with me [at the moment I die]
    This raises an interesting question for me. I've seen dogs react to the loss of a long-time canine mate. With our rescue dog, we saw the effect of a dog losing its longer-time masters. Not aiming the question specifically at Ultralight, but to all the pet-owners among us: if our dog was present at the time we knew we were dying, how would (or could) you "prepare" your dog for his/her loss of its companion/master?
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

If I’m dying and I know it, I don’t think preparing my dog will be a high priority on the to-do list.

Williamsmith
    Just keep in mind, the dog only cares about what he is going to eat and drink when you are gone. Well, he wants to go for a walk too. If you die with only your dog present and don’t make those arrangements....he will eat you to stay alivewhile he mourns your passing.

I think Williamsmith has the right idea. You can't explain theoretical concepts like death to a pet, but you can take steps to make sure that they will be cared for after you're gone. As this article points out, the pet is probably going to be stressed out by the change in their life circumstances, especially if it means being dropped off at a shelter.

http://www.humanesociety.org/news/ma...ner-death.html

When I am sick 2 of my 3 dogs won’t leave my side. It’s hard to get them to go out to potty or eat. I had the flu last year and was in bed for 2 weeks. My husband could barely get them to leave my side. I think if they saw me die they would understand. It’s one reason we are downsizing as they go. Will only have 1 or 2 small dogs and my 10 yo best friend said she will take them when the time comes.

A couple of years ago SO and I went on vacation. At the end of the vacation I came home and SO immediately went on a business trip, directly from vacation. The evening I got home our cat that is bonded to him kept running to the door every time he heard noise in the building hallway. As I was getting ready for bed he finally gave up hope that his "dad" was coming home and had a meltdown that required a timeout. He was fine for the next two days, but if it comes to it I'd definitely want him to know that SO had died.

I made sure that one of our cats saw her friend cat dead, but honestly, it didnt seem to make an impression.

I think it varies by animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I think it varies by animal.
    Yeah. My sister’s cat had never seemed to care much for their dog. Too big and barky for him. But after the dog passed he moped around for a month and kept going to the dog’s favorite spots and sniffing around looking for her.

We recently lost TomDog but the 3 weeks prior to his death the feral cat KuboCat stayed very close to TomDog on his worst days. To be honest we still don't know if KuboCat is a he or she but we appreciate the comfort Kubo gave by sticking close to Tom.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information