Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Debit card got skimmed?

Debit card got skimmed?

This past weekend I had a little bit of a financial crisis scenario.

I got an oddball email on Saturday saying there was a strange purchase made with my debit card.

I checked it out, someone had made three purchases in a town called Mount Vernon -- which I am not and was not in.

I called the bank. They shut off my card.

They said my card might have gotten "skimmed" or when I made a purchase online my info could have been stolen. I had recently bought a ticket to a hockey game online. But who knows...

The lady with the bank said I should:
    1. Not buy anything online with my debit card
    2. Not pay for gas with my debit card at the pump

Thoughts on this?

I dont have a debit card at all, too risky.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I dont have a debit card at all, too risky.
    Please explain.

I don;t use my debit card online but do buy gas with it.

I only use my debit card at the ATM at the bank I get it from and 1 grocery store in town that doesn't take CCs.

Credit card for anything else.

You're protected when you use a credit card, not so much with a debit card. You'd have to fight a lot harder to get your money back on an ATM withdrawal. (But even though I am aware of risk, I use my debit card for most of my in person shopping- never for on line).,

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Please explain.
    You are not protected as much from fraudulent transactions on a debit card as you are with a credit card. At least, that was the wisdom a few years ago.

I dont need a debit card anyway. Well, once I did need it, once in forever. It was a time I needed cash at the grocery store and they would not give cash back on a credit card purchase. And if
    I had simply been carrying an ATM card, that would have worked. But I dont use those things either.

Williamsmith
    UL, credit card companies have fraud and security offices whose job is to minimize fraud and make sure their customers continue using credit. Therefore, when you suffer a loss on your credit card through no fault of your own, you simply protest the charges, the card gets cancelled and reissued in a new number, the mail the card to you, you go on with your life. When you use a debit card, the card is linked to your bank account. Banks are not in the business of caring about their customers to the point t where they like reimbursing fraudulent activity.

Do yourself a favor, get a credit card that pays 3-5% cash back on all your purchases, pay it off every month and use your debit card only at an ATM to withdraw cash.

Our debit card has been used fraudulently and the bank cancelled the card and gave us back the $ with no problem. I use it for all in-person purchases and the ATM's and gas.

Dave Ramsey explained in his book that you actually do have the same protections with a debit card as you do with a credit card. Though the process can go more quickly if you pay for things as credit. Mastercard. Visa. It all applies, apparently.

This happened to me once before, with a debit card. Everything was paid back to me, but it took a couple months.

I think I will just not buy anything online -- it is rare that I purchase things online anyway. And I am using cash and Dave's envelope method for gasoline now.

I have never had a credit card, nor do I want one.