Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Debit card got skimmed?

My debit card-always used as a credit card- had an odd charge that was denied, but I got a phone call from the bank and called them back- they issued a new card. I had only used it in a restaurant...so that has to be where it happened. I was standing right at the cash register when the charge went through. Next time, I paid cash.

I am just going to double down on using cash.

Our bank is so cautious they think almost every charge if fraud. They are always shutting the boys cards down because they are out of state. The accounts are flagged with what states they are in.
    I don't enter pin numbers at gas stations but use the credit card feature of the debit card. Sure it puts a hold on a larger amount but that's ok. No pin number floating around. They were searching a truck the other night that had been parked at the gas station for an hour. I'm sure they were sitting there skimming cards, nice truck.
    I'm giving up the debit card and going back to just using the credit card and cash. I've even started handing an actual check (free with my senior account) to the walmart or grocery store clerk - talk about old school but it gives me 2 extra days of having my money before it clears my account.

One thing I've wondered about paying ahead at the gas station before pumping. The last dollar goes so slow...am I really getting any gas?
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Although there are protections when using your debit card the problem is that if there's a fraudulent charge it's your money out the door that needs to be replaced, vs. with a credit card where it's the banks's money that's been stolen. If your debit card is for the account you pay your rent and student loan and whatever from you run the risk of bounced transactions. In other words you run the risk of screwing up your student loan forgiveness program.

If you really feel compelled to use a debit card instead of a credit card I'd recommend opening a separate bank account, and keeping only as much money in it as you need for your purchases. That way not much money can get taken, and you'll always know you have enough money in your "other, non-debit card" account to cover your monthly bills.

Personally I never use a card at gas stations, always cash. Gas pumps are notoriously risky for skimmers because the attendant does not have a close eye on the pump card readers, making it fairly easy for criminals to attach skimmers.

Williamsmith
    I use a credit card for gas purchases, restaurants and groceries as well as paying for a few other regular bills. I accumulated over $500 in cash back reward which paid for a nice portion of my New York City vacation. I have had a credit card for over 35 years and paid off the balance every month.

Winco won’t take CC’s. I have had one for over 40 years but just find it easier to use debit card. On big purchases we use our cash back CC.

I bank with one of the Big 3, and they always catch my card being used fraudulently. One time, there was a charge in France, Dubai, and India within the same minute!! Clearly not me, as I was pumping gas in California. They called to tell me they had just shut my card off. And actually, I got caught 3 times within about 6 weeks around that time.

I stopped using my ATM card at gas stations; I now have a cashback credit card I use. But it is frustrating that the lowest priced gas in town only takes cash or ATM cards. I have been cheated on the cash transactions too. Prepaid, then couldn't take the whole amount and they refused to refund the difference. And if I don't fill up, I'm buying gas every other day, what a pain!

If I'm buying something online, it has to be from a business that accepts PayPal, that way I never enter my credit card number online. I have an Amazon credit card that I use for those purchases. Also have to remember to file a "traveling" with bank...

Ditto transactions as Williamsmith. I do have a credit card that I use online only with a credit limit of $1,000. The additional benefit of using a credit card for transactions is if there is a problem with a product the card will help with the dispute. Also have cards that give cash back. ONLY use debit card for cash at local location that is monitored.

Our cheapest gas won’t take a CC either. We never use our debit cards on vacation.

Thread Information