Thread: Barbeque grill propane tank question

Barbeque grill propane tank question

We use those Blue Rhino propane tanks for our grill that you get at Home Depot by paying a deposit and then trade in when they are empty. The one that we're currently using won't shut off. The valve seems to be broken. Two questions. One, is this a big deal? We grill maybe once a week so it probably has a couple of month's worth of propane left in it. Second, once it's empty I assume it won't really be empty, just too low pressure to function. Will it be a problem when I disconnect it from the grill at that point?

If it is a newer tank with an OPD valve, which it should be, you can safely disconnect it without leaking. It's still not ideal of course. This assumes the OPD valve itself isn't also broken.

http://www.propane101.com/valveopennopropane.htm

With the valve stuck open as it is, you will likely find that propane leaks out through the grill's valves, and so you will run out of propane sooner than you think. Also, be careful lighting your grill unless you ventilate it first - if its valves are leaking, the body of the grill may contain a pool of propane, and WHOOOMPH may happen when you light it.

Thank you. I assume it's got the OPD valve since it seems unlikely that an older, less safe tank would still be in use. Having this problem had made me wonder what people in developing countries would do about this problem since I've been in vacation rentals in places like Mexico where tanks like this are kept in a kitchen cabinet to feed the stove. If the grill is leaking out the gas maybe we need to plan an all day barbeque party this weekend and invite all our friends over with the goal of using up the propane by bedtime...

Probably a gentle sniff, or trying to ignite the grill carefully after it has been on "off" for an hour or two would be a good test. You could do the soapy-water test, but that requires some grill disassembly and isn't nearly as much fun.

Do make sure the grill and tank are in a well-ventilated space for now though, without opportunity for any leaking propane to pool somewhere - the vapors are heavier than air and will seek the lowest level and lurk, waiting for their opportunity to make your day More Fun.

Don't worry. Thanks to mother nature our deck definitely tends to be very well ventilated.

So, apparently our grill's burner valves don't leak. Every other part of it is rusting away, but those babies are solid! The tank finally ran out the other day after cooking on it 2-3 times per month since I originally posted this. Tomorrow we're going to get a new grill and a new tank of propane.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    So, apparently our grill's burner valves don't leak. Every other part of it is rusting away, but those babies are solid! The tank finally ran out the other day after cooking on it 2-3 times per month since I originally posted this. Tomorrow we're going to get a new grill and a new tank of propane.
    Wish we were close. We have a gas grill we can't give away.....been unused for 3y now. This generation that buys new (likely on credit) instead of accepting gently used makes me crazy.

Happy to hear there wasn't an explosive end to this story :-)

Thread Information