Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Millionaire Next Door

Millionaire Next Door

I picked up The Millionaire Next Door from the library today. It seems really interesting.

I read reviews and synopses already. So I am familiar with much of the basic premise. And that is that most of America's wealthy folks don't really lead extravagant opulent lives. They drive used cars, buy their jeans at Wal-Mart, live in regular houses, and eat home cooked meals.

So here is something I was curious about.

Minimalists get a lot of flack, such as:

"I was a minimalist when I was a kid, but we just called it poor!"

So minimalists, who are usually quite frugal and spend their money with deliberate intention in most cases, are ridiculed for living a "fake" lifestyle.

So does a millionaire who lives much like a regular workin' schlub deserve a similar disdain?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    IMinimalists get a lot of flack, such as:
    Do they? Who gives them this flack?

So does a millionaire who lives much like a regular workin' schlub deserve a similar disdain?
    I know a couple of billionaires in my neighborhood who live like everybody else, so I'm not sure.

What does "deserve" mean in this context? Is some offense being committed by people who don't spend money?

I don’t have disdain for minimalists or young people living below their means.

When one lives like everyone else regardless of one's assets, it is simply normal behaviour. of normal people.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    When one lives like everyone else regardless of one's assets, it is simply normal behaviour. of normal people.
    Not sure what you mean.

People admire rich people, but poor people not so much. "Oh I so admire poor people for living on nothing, because uh they literally have pretty much nothing", said almost noone ever (well maybe Jesus if one believes in that, prehaps the Buddha ...).

I don't think that many people actually care how others spend their money though, only some spending may be necessary to keep up appearances (not go to work in rags and so on). Me and my boyfriend have often discussed car washes as keeping up appearances, but this really only matters if anyone who might matter sees your car.
    Trees don't grow on money

Well, I am going to dig into this book tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Well, I am going to dig into this book tonight.
    I guess you wil find out if they deserve our distain!!! Let us know if and where to throw the rotten apples!

MND is probably my favorite simple living book.

By the way, I have seen Eric Brendon (author of Better Off) out and about on his recumbant bike a lot lately, and last time a woman was riding along with him, I assume his wife.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 9-12-18 at 9:58pm.

I suspect several members of your audience here are the millionaires next door. Surely you can think of a better reason than that to show us your disdain.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Surely you can think of a better reason than that to show us your disdain.
    Uh... what?

Thread Information