Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Millionaire Next Door

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I'd really like a van of some sort - like the old Vanagans.
    My experience with our old VW van is that we'd need a million to pay for the contact tows and repairs, W have a "newer" one now (1995) and have had much better luck.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I know, that why it is my favorite simple living book. The stories sre great!
    It's between that and YMOYL for me. I'm not much for the pious or pecuniary ones.

I haven't read the book in years but seem to recall that many of the MND households were one-income families where the wife raised kids and managed the home so the husband could devote time to his career. My older brother fits the mold - a multi MND whose wife never worked. She raised very well-mannered, intelligent children and kept a beautiful house. Old-fashioned idea I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    It's between that and YMOYL for me. I'm not much for the pious or pecuniary ones.
    YMOYL got me on track financially. Janet Luhr's "Simple Living Guide" gom me on track for simplicity. Combined they brought us to thoughtful spending and a comfortable-to-us level of minimalism.

I am surprised people on this forum liked this book. It is all about labeling people. Heck, the title is a label.

I finished the book this past weekend. It was really, really interesting! I learned so much.

I have the hard copy at home in NJ, but you've piqued my interest in giving it another look over (although the sands of my hourglass for actually becoming a MND is pretty much fizzled out).

So I went on Amazon, and I actually get it for free!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I have the hard copy at home in NJ, but you've piqued my interest in giving it another look over (although the sands of my hourglass for actually becoming a MND is pretty much fizzled out).

So I went on Amazon, and I actually get it for free!
    I know I will likely not reach MND status. But by following some of their authors' guidelines I can improve my lot quite a bit.

I was suggesting you read it because it might have some insights regarding your dilemma about your kids.

The Republican that does my taxes is highly likely to be a MND. He is a financial adviser. So I am asking him for some advice. Though I think I am so unconventional that his advice either won't apply to a weirdo like me or he will have to dig deep to do a custom job. We'll see how much he charges.

Thread Information