Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Millionaire Next Door

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Ditto on what Gardnr said. Our house, car, clothes, etc. are all on the much lower end than any of our neighbors. They probably consider us the poor relations. Our doctor and dentist always apologize for any cost and immediately start talking about affordability. I could not care any less.

I figure our immediate neighbors have a big clue since we bought the Xray machine for the spay neuter clinic where she is a board member. She knows very well not to pester us for more money.
    That is so great, to buy the xray machine!

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    ...crappy car...
    I herrrrd dat.

Yesterday I was walking from a nearby store (I did not buy anything, just went on the walk) with some coworkers. One of them semi-jokingly said this when they saw my car: "Who owns this dumpy little black car?"

I was like: "It is paid for." haha

She is about to buy a 4runner, probably used, but still way more car than she needs.

and then there are the millionaires that own zebras. Yea don't even ask. And probably really not that uncommon, you really don't know how the other (well not half) lives. Whole businesses are kept alive with just that demographic.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    and then there are the millionaires that own zebras. Yea don't even ask. And probably really not that uncommon, you really don't know how the other (well not half) lives.
    Actually, I had to laugh at the mention of zebras. An old MacDonald type farm on my route has a few sheep, a pony and a zebra so maybe it was a rescue.
    Editted to add that maybe this farm is an example of the MND.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Cellaneous View Post
    Not all minimalists are frugal. Some buy very little, but buy high quality items, either because they like the particular item, or because the higher quality item will last longer or offer more features or whatever. For example, they own one watch, but it's a Rolex. They have one car, but it's a Volvo and they bought it new to get exactly what they wanted. They may not buy lots of things, but spend lots of money on travel, or eating out.
    This is us. We didn't have bedroom furniture until we had been married 17 years. We went to Ethan Allen and ordered solid cherry, wrote a check and we still love it 21 years later. Set for life.

I purchased the last car of my life at 55. Mercedes C300 (highest safety rating 2y in a row), wrote a check.

In our early years we bought locally made unfinished solid oak table/bookcase/stereo stand/desk for our family room. We still have all those pieces....will keep forever.

Leather Natuzi sectional-lasted 23 years.

We bought a trashed cabin in the mountains that our inspector said was solid and would last us 50 years. Didn't write a check but we paid it off in 54 months. We're not done rehabbing it after 15 years, but we'll be done by January with the last room.

I buy my clothes at thrift stores and Ross. It doesn't matter. Cheap can last as long as expensive. I spend money on my footwear.

When our team went to the Vegas Bowl in December we had no problem dropping $3k on a 60 hour round trip taking in a Lady Gaga concert cuz, well hell, she was there and tickets were available. THAT was super fun and totally indulgent and luxurious. Europe? no thanks. South America? no thanks. Cruising? no thanks.

So yes, there's an example of frugal minimalism while spending money.
    Last edited by Gardnr; 9-13-18 at 10:05pm.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Looking back over the years, it’s probably safe to say that I chose a dull and boring life over the excitement and romance of high debt, unstable relationships and underemployment. I wasn’t in it for the big bucks; I just like things as drama-free as possible. The money just seemed to gradually accumulate while I was attending to the quotidian duties of building a career and raising a family. Call it an alternative lifestyle.
    I would argue that a person could live an unconventional and interesting lifestyle on the cheap. Jeff Yeager did it to a large degree. Look at all the van dwellers and rock climbing dirt bags and trout bums. Now, they don't have a million bucks in their wallets but they are living interesting lives on the cheap.

I admire them. Though I'd probably not veer that far from convention.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I would argue that a person could live an unconventional and interesting lifestyle on the cheap. Jeff Yeager did it to a large degree. Look at all the van dwellers and rock climbing dirt bags and trout bums. Now, they don't have a million bucks in their wallets but they are living interesting lives on the cheap.

I admire them. Though I'd probably not veer that far from convention.
    umm, the “excitement and romance” moniker is scarcastic. I imagine L.dahl thinks his life is interesting enough.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 9-13-18 at 11:03pm.

I read a book I had downloaded a while ago and forgotten about: The Year of Less by Cait Flanders

Regarding minimalists getting flack, she kind of alluded to that: when she gave up meat, she got flack, when she stopped drinking, she got flack, and she got flack for posting pictures on her blog of her uncluttered minimalist apartment. It was a pretty interesting book, because she was honest about the ups and downs and near-relapses in the minimalism department. Not that earth-shattering--a lot of people blog about their no-spending challenges, but her writing style is easy.

This doesn't have much to do with the Millionaire Next Door, but I thought of it when I saw the comment about minimalists getting flack.

Re MND, I read it and I thought it made a ton of sense.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

G: sorry but that money would be a week trip to many places . I think you are missing out by not traveling.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    G: sorry but that money would be a week trip to many places . I think you are missing out by not traveling.
    REALLY!?

Sigh. She just said she “ traveled” to
    Vegas ( pull my fingernails out rather than making me go there, and puncture my eardrums before making me listen to Lady gaga, please!) so she IS experiencing new sights and fun thing even if those things are not to my taste or to your taste. For gods sake.

Thread Information