Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wifi access in Japan advice

Wifi access in Japan advice

As I consider all the things that I need to know, I wonder about access to wifi in Japan. Hotels and variety stores have access but I know that my understanding of the access response is nil.

When you travel, do you rent a smart phone at the airport with built-in wifi access? Get a SIM card before leaving NA? OR what would you advise?
    Thanks
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I buy a international plan from my provider for while I am on vacation.

I am not sure if this answers your question, but I had no trouble using wifi for my Ipad in my Prague hotel, all over Romania, and in the car of our driver.

I do not have cellular service and so, did not have anything to convert to European standards dor a phone.

I seem to remember that each hotel gave us the wifi access code. Oh, there was one or two hotels that did not have wifi in the rooms, but had it in the lobby.

Of course, I was working with Arabic numerals and an alphabet that was more or less like that used in the English language. That may not be true in Japan. I cannot imagine that they make it hard for English speaking tourists, though.

Our experience was only getting service in hotels for a laptop. Most did not have WIFI but could somehow get us access. One hotel brought us a router to use. No idea on phones since our group gave us emergency phone cards in case we got lost. We felt Japan skipped the intermediate step and went straight to everything being on their phones.

So I am not much help but the question is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    ...We felt Japan skipped the intermediate step and went straight to everything being on their phones.
    That is what happened in China, according to our
    Chinese friend. Everyone pays for everything via phone.

He says even the street beggers have The Square -type technology. Now that seems crazy, but he swears it is true.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    He says even the street beggers have The Square -type technology. Now that seems crazy, but he swears it is true.
    It's true in a lot of places. Brick and mortar banks are expensive and they're just an abstraction anyway. And poor people often don't deal with banks (for various reasons). Currency is an abstraction, too -- it's worth something because we believe it's worth something. So if you can pole vault past the perceived need to have pieces of paper handed to you in a big brick building on a corner in your town , electronic funds transfer (even peer-to-peer) is an inexpensive way to conduct financial business.

That's also why many lesser-developed countries went right past integrating wireline phones to mobile phones -- the infrastructure is so much less expensive to develop (one tower every n miles or so instead of cable hauled to the outside of every single residence requesting service). And, owing to the price and convenience of mobile phones, almost everyone has a computer in their pocket now -- some of them amazingly cheap! It's a confluence of many factors,

Sometimes the first in the race isn't always the winner.

ETA to drift back on-topic, my only experience visiting Japan was before WiFi and mobile phones were A Thing. So I have no real advice in that area other than to investigate your USian/North American carrier's provisions for use outside the U.S. and to find out how difficult it actually is to purchase in Japan a SIM and service which will work given your transient nature and non-local residence. You may find it's simplest to download the information you can to your phone and not worry about on-demand usage and to stick with Wi-Fi at businesses and hotels which offer it.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Update:
    I have returned from my trip to Japan which was all I imagined and more. Wifi access was available at all hotels which were amazing in convenience and comfort.
    It is a remarkable country, very mountainous with long tunnels running through the mountains to connect communities.

I learned to make sushi, ate what I made and will never make or eat it with raw fish again.

I was overwhelmed by the quality of service, the long history in its buildings, gardens, shrines and temples plus the language barrier. I could not read or understand Japanese which is intimidating.

Although it is a cash-based society, the amount of Japanese money I took was perfect, credit cards were accepted for the very few occasions I required them. Japan has such a wonderful focus on cleanliness that the rest of us could use.

I am really glad that I went, would recommend going there for a visit but will not return.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I enjoyed your description.

Great report! I woild love to see The gardens of Kyoto. I am sure there are many charming things there. But, there are other countries in Asia I want to to first.

We are going back for our 50th wedding anniversary present to ourselves. Got another 4 years to go.

Thread Information