Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoping for the best for the Carolinas......

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Hoping for the best for the Carolinas......

I've been reading about Florence which is said to be soon approaching the Carolinas.........Hoping for the best for this part of the country.

I have a friend in Charleston, SC, who lives in a zip code similar to mine and who left Charleston a day ago. I have not heard from her or her fiance and I'm worried but then again, Florence has yet to hit so it can't be that.

Just hoping that we don't have another Harvey/Katrina on our hands with untold numbers of displaced people......Rob

We’re already prepping here for the response.

So glad I live on the west coast now.

Yppej
    Next year I hoped to visit the Outer Banks. I hope they have a sppedy recovery.

This January when I went to San Antonio a beach in Corpus Christi, Mustang State Park, was still closed from the hurricane the previous year, and I'm lucky I saw Jazzland amusement park in New Orleans, which was destroyed by Katrina and never did reopen, when I did.

Our home is west and north of Charlotte. They are preparing like crazy there. Power outages are a regular thing anyway, so with the storm they think it's a given that they will need to live without power for some time.

Praying for those on the coastal areas.

Living in Florida, I've been there and done that too many times!

It's pretty scary. I can't imagine having to pick what things to flee with, in case everything else is gone after it hits. (Photo albums, favorite things, books, cameras, back-up computer things, etc. And isn't there a couple more tropical storms forming off Africa? I wonder how long these things will happen before people decide it's just too risky to live so close to the ocean. Seems like it's either heaven or hell. The news interviewed a couple that weren't leaving.......even with their 2 young kids. They said they had no money for gas, hotels, or food. Seems like you're taking a chance with your children's lives. There are a lot of safer shelters around there. I hope they're not making a big mistake.
    It's all pretty scary.

CathyA,
    I saw that same interview. And the other thing the Mom mentioned was being away from their home for a month or more was not something they wanted to do (I'm guessing because of fear of looting and coming home to nothing.)
    It's only Stuff, people!
    But I do wish there would have been a citizen outreach to temporarily house some people - I think that would have made the whole ordeal easier on the hurricane refugees vs. sitting in an overcrowded shelter.

My cousin lives in Charleston, South Carolina. His job is considered "essential," (he works at the port), so he has to stay. But he has sent his wife and two children and the dog to stay with his mom in Florida, yielding a bunch of jokes about sheltering from a hurricane in Florida of all places.

I just hope everyone stays safe.

Even though the storm has been downgraded to a Category 2, it can still do a lot of damage. Irene was "just" a tropical storm when it hit New England. There were towns in Vermont, which has no coastline, that were completely cut off for days--roads out, hundreds of bridges out, telephone lines and cell towers and power lines down. The storm caused millions of dollars in damage from flooding. I think it's the flooding that will be the real danger with Florence, as well.

If the family couldn’t afford a motel they should have went to a shelter. Not worth the risk to the kids to stay.

Several years ago I visited a friend who lives in Raleigh. I drove 16 hours as I dislike flying. Friend said I wasn’t go to drive that far without visiting the Atlantic. We went to Wilmington and then a bit south to Kure Beach. Lovely area. I’m sure the area will see a lot of damage. I pulled out my pictures from the trip last night to look at.

People grumble about winter in the Midwest and yes, we do get tornadoes, but having to evacuate several million people? Nope.

Thread Information