Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Moving to a low-cost-of-living area to retire?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
    The best place to retire is right where you are -- with your family and friends around you. I live in Fort Myers, Florida and this place is full of lonely and sad seniors who sold out their family and friends in order to save a FEW (and I stress the word FEW) dollars in taxes.
    Depends. Everyone's situation is different. I no longer have that many friends or family in this area (many have themselves moved away), and the quality of life has IMO gone way down because of overcrowding. I wouldn't move just to save a few bucks in taxes, but the cost of living here isn't just high, it's HIGH, especially for housing. I've got some time to consider my options, and I might not end up going that far, but I feel like it's time for a change.

Neither do I Catherine and I don’t live in such a place.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    If my current divorce project runs off the rails, I am contemplating moving from the island down to Seattle, dumping the real estate up here, and getting a nice $750k 1 bedroom apartment down in Seattle.

Hope you will consider a rental re-immersion in Seattle and hold on to your island property until you are certain city life is better. I've seen your beautiful island, and the life you built for yourself there is one I envy.

The widowed are often advised to make no dramatic life changes for at least a year. Might that be wise advice for anyone who has suffered a shocking loss?

Wishing you all the best whatever choices you make.

Well, here is the published version of where to retire.

https://self-made.io/best-places-retire-america/5159/

Quote Originally Posted by Simone View Post
    The widowed are often advised to make no dramatic life changes for at least a year. Might that be wise advice for anyone who has suffered a shocking loss?
    I believe it is wise advice, coupled with the advice I've always found valuable that you don't want to be running away from anything (except maybe a bear or a mushroom cloud); you want to be running toward something.

Not to derail this thread on philosophical grounds, though. When I knew my marriage was over, I consciously chose to move from the 3400-square-foot suburban house in which the two of us lived to a studio apartment in a more centrally-located, walkable, ascending neighborhood. I would not have been comfortable buying another place anywhere because I knew I had "the work" to do and a lot of assumptions to challenge (for a while I even considered relocating to the West Coast). Another "permanent" choice at that time would not have been smart. But the apartment was easier to care for and didn't require a car to do everything and I already knew that idea was appealing.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Teacher Terry, "Vegas is ugly"? To you and many others, perhaps. To me, it is gorgeous--especially Lake Mead, Mt. Charleston, and Red Rock. But Reno, Fallon, Minden, Carson City, etc. are also beautiful. In fact, DH and I seriously considered moving up there, but it was the weather (snow) and the high cost of homes that kept us out.

When I worked for the state I was offered a big promotion to go to Vegas. I hate the heat and thought it was ugly. I have lived in Kansas twice and it reminded me of that. Many winters we get very little snow. We have had 3 real winters in 21 years. Good thing we all don’t like the same thing or we would all live in the same place)

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Good thing we all don’t like the same thing or we would all live in the same place)
    Earth?

Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    Teacher Terry, "Vegas is ugly"? To you and many others, perhaps. To me, it is gorgeous--especially Lake Mead, Mt. Charleston, and Red Rock. But Reno, Fallon, Minden, Carson City, etc. are also beautiful. In fact, DH and I seriously considered moving up there, but it was the weather (snow) and the high cost of homes that kept us out.
    You love what's outside of Vegas. You're not describing a beautiful city......I'm in the "Vegas is ugly" camp. The old strip looks dangerous and ancient. Freemont is half freak-alley. It doesn't help that I dislike shopping, dislike gambling and dislike intense heat.

Thread Information