Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving to a low-cost-of-living area to retire?

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    financial and other things to consider in Home ownership:
    property taxes (county and school)
    state sales tax
    state income tax
    home maintenance (repairs, lawn and snow, Home insurance).
    water, sewer, electric, gas and so on
    proximity to stores, banks, doctors and hospitals
    The more digital we go I believe libraries will be a thing of the past, not that I like it
    climate
    crime
    culture of the area, ie. Accepting of other races, gay marriage, religious tolerance and so on.

Ever think of a vagabong life? We are out in our RV four or five months of the year. There are tons of people who work camp. Working for state and national parks, stay at private campgrounds for the tourist season and work at a local shop or restaurant. A different way of life to consider if you like that kind of thing. Plus many people have RV’s of some kind so they can have their pets. We thought about it but decided no.

I agree with iris lilies. We bought a little house a year ago and we love it. Cheaper than renting, feels more permanent, we no longer have second hand smoke seeping through the vents.

But now we have a large amount of stuff in our garage that we never needed when we lived in apartments. Shovels, rakes, weed trimmer, garden hose, outdoor chairs, ladder, Grill, and it goes on and on ... we still are pretty minimal in our life (1 car for two people, 900 square feet house, etc) but I still had to adjust to all the stuff needed for a house.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Yeah--one on Orcas Island, and one in Maui, I hear. House hoarding. I can barely cope with one.
    Why not? She has the money and can afford the staff to maintain everything she owns.

She has shared so much of her wealth and surely the luxury of many homes for respite is hard-earned and well-deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I agree with iris lilies. We bought a little house a year ago and we love it. Cheaper than renting, feels more permanent, we no longer have second hand smoke seeping through the vents.

But now we have a large amount of stuff in our garage that we never needed when we lived in apartments. Shovels, rakes, weed trimmer, garden hose, outdoor chairs, ladder, Grill, and it goes on and on ... we still are pretty minimal in our life (1 car for two people, 900 square feet house, etc) but I still had to adjust to all the stuff needed for a house.
    For sure the extra stuff but we don't need very many to maintain our gardens. 1 4section ladder accomodates every job, 11 tools hanging on the garage wall in front of our vehicles. I find great joy and respite in my gardens so the tools are part and parcel. That said, replacement is rare and maintenance takes very little time so most are a 1 time expense.

When we bought our first house in '83, we borrowed and/or bought VERY used stuff as we had no budget. Many of the first time replacements later in the 80s are still functioning quite well today. Our lawnmower from 1991 works great and lives at the cabin where we do actually still have a yard (city home is all veggie/perennial gardens.) We just replaced our first mini tiller last year. Hand tools last forever. I did have to buy a new spade fork this year as my farm-style pitchfork disappeared-total bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Why not? She has the money and can afford the staff to maintain everything she owns.

She has shared so much of her wealth and surely the luxury of many homes for respite is hard-earned and well-deserved.
    I don't begrudge any wealthy person either their money (unless ill-gotten) or their stuff. I do think having that many houses is a form of hoarding, and that doesn't bother me either--she hoards houses, I hoard art supplies and accessories. But, as I said, one house is more than enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I don't begrudge any wealthy person either their money (unless ill-gotten) or their stuff. I do think having that many houses is a form of hoarding, and that doesn't bother me either--she hoards houses, I hoard art supplies and accessories. But, as I said, one house is more than enough for me.
    I recall meeting a woman when I was part of a woman's codependency weekend retreat. She said that one of her frustrations/anxieties living with her very wealthy but alcoholic husband was the stress of outfitting numerous homes with the right stuff (Do I have a potato masher in the Florida house, or is that in the Colorado house??!!) I didn't envy her.

Similarly, I feel bad for my friend married to the multi-millionnaire--they have three incredibly impressive homes and she is the one tasked with making sure they are all "society-ready"--I have known her since college and she's a very detail-oriented, capable person, but I can't help but wonder if her abilities to support his multiple social obligations factored into their relationship--the second for both. I don't envy her either.

Now, I do have two homes, but I don't consider it a problem. Hmmm.. maybe I'm in denial?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I recall meeting a woman when I was part of a woman's codependency weekend retreat. She said that one of her frustrations/anxieties living with her very wealthy but alcoholic husband was the stress of outfitting numerous homes with the right stuff (Do I have a potato masher in the Florida house, or is that in the Colorado house??!!) I didn't envy her.

Similarly, I feel bad for my friend married to the multi-millionnaire--they have three incredibly impressive homes and she is the one tasked with making sure they are all "society-ready"--I have known her since college and she's a very detail-oriented, capable person, but I can't help but wonder if her abilities to support his multiple social obligations factored into their relationship--the second for both. I don't envy her either.

Now, I do have two homes, but I don't consider it a problem. Hmmm.. maybe I'm in denial?
    For the first 5 years we hauled stuff back/forth that we needed at the cabin except for some basics that I purchased at the dollar store for the kitchen and a few sets of towels at Ross. Once it was paid off at 54 months, we purchased those items. The fantastic thing about living a simple life is.....we didn't have to buy a lot. Less than $1k took care of it all and when we converted the last of the grass lawn to garden beds in the city, the lawn mower/trimmer moved permanently to the cabin (where the growing season is less than 70 days).

We by no means have a society-ready lifestyle so there is no comparison. I mean, she can't use dollar store wine glasses like I do for guests

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    For the first 5 years we hauled stuff back/forth that we needed at the cabin except for some basics that I purchased at the dollar store for the kitchen and a few sets of towels at Ross. Once it was paid off at 54 months, we purchased those items. The fantastic thing about living a simple life is.....we didn't have to buy a lot. Less than $1k took care of it all and when we converted the last of the grass lawn to garden beds in the city, the lawn mower/trimmer moved permanently to the cabin (where the growing season is less than 70 days).

We by no means have a society-ready lifestyle so there is no comparison. I mean, she can't use dollar store wine glasses like I do for guests
    We moved up here very minimalist: I instructed DH that we were doing everything in a "needs-based" fashion. Four months later and the only thing I really miss is my crockpot.

And talk about "society-ready?" I'm going to take Helen Nearing's approach--if people can tolerate it, they can stay--and maybe pitch in. If they can't, nice to see you--come again.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post

Ever think of a vagabong life? We are out in our RV four or five months of the year. There are tons of people who work camp. Working for state and national parks, stay at private campgrounds for the tourist season and work at a local shop or restaurant. A different way of life to consider if you like that kind of thing. Plus many people have RV’s of some kind so they can have their pets. We thought about it but decided no.
    I consider it daily. I have a dream of being a Trout Bum -- going around fishing in rivers and lakes throughout the US and Canada.

It'd be hard to do with Harlan. He hates riding in vehicles. But after he goes off to college and if the PSLF program works for me, in 6.5 years, I would strongly consider it.

I rented a house briefly with two gals. I did all the yard work. It was a brother trucking nightmare!

An ex girlfriend of mine had a house, garage, yard, and all the stuff to maintain it. And she thought it was romantic to do yard work together and she wanted me to do this. It was like a form of nesting to her. I went along with it a couple times but they I told her: "I live in an apartment for a reason. I hate yardwork!"

She was not happy...

Thread Information