Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving to a low-cost-of-living area to retire?

I rarely set foot in a store anymore. Our downtown and midtown areas are full of restaurants, bars and small shops.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I'm interested in seeing how the huge shift in loss of storefront retail to internet will play out even in vibrant cities. One of my NYC friends posted an article about all the landmark NYC stores that are shuttering. Can you imagine the tumbleweeds rolling down the 5th avenue the way they are in some of the Midwestern cities?? I think we need to acknowledge vast changes in how community operates--not just from the commercial front, but the social front, too, and anticipate a lot more change before we figure it all out.
    I ordered a new turntable from the worlds most wealthy man’s website. About a week later a tattered sad looking cardboard box ended up on my porch. The contents rattled and tinkled as I picked up the box. When I opened it, the contents were obviously not packed properly as only a thin piece of packing paper was rolled up in the space in a feeble hurried attempt to keep the box from shifting in transit. The dust cover was cracked, the turntable had shifted and the stylus cartridge had been scraping numerous surfaces.

I learned a lesson and just drove the fifty miles to a Best Buy where I hand picked my turntable, gently transported it home and put it into use. The online fad is nearing a bubble. Besos has milked it for all he can get. Time to revolt!

The only thing that has arrived damaged was a grill from overstock. Called them and they sent someone to pick it up at our door. I bought a big tv and mattress online.

I dont buy electronics online because there is no safe place for them to be delivered. Ghetto culture supports and encourages theft from my front porch. But I will risk deliveries of less expensive items. And it does seem that lately USPS, Fed Ex. and UPS are more careful at placing boxes in a semi-hidden place.

My most recent online purchase was a Japanese Ikebana container, packed to the nines. It was shipped to me the US but originated in Japan.

SteveinMN,

To clarify, I am not advocating a move to a community in decline. It would not be an improvement for many, and there is the risk of buying a house, becoming dissatisfied and needing to put the house back on the market where it will be slow to sell. But I do think for some people, who go into it with their eyes open, and their expectations realistic, it can be a satisfying and simple life.

pinkytoe,

In my 6 years living in my town of 2,000 in the Northern Highland of Wisconsin (people's ethnic origins predominantly German, Scandinavian, UK and Italian) neither I nor anyone I know has been a victim of crime. The local police force (5 officers, 2 cars) is mainly occupied by traffic enforcement (DUIs and speeding would be out of hand if they weren't on the job) and keeping the peace (domestic abuse, stray animals, noise complaints, etc.)

Our population have our share of addictions. When local law enforcement makes a drug bust, they draw on reinforcements from I-don't-know-where. They arrive with overwhelming numbers, no knock. So, to any drug dealer wishing to set up shop here, this town may seem like Mayberry RFD... until it isn't! In the past 6 years, I was aware of 2 busts.

The low rate of victimization results in children playing relatively freely, and houses being unlocked.

In Hermann, crime is practically non existant, houses are unlocked. Cars do not get stolen. Probably a package on my porch would sit there until a neighbor became concerned about it in our long absence, and he would take it in. (Well, We,do that here, too. When packages sit on my neighbors’ steps I sometimes take them in and send neighbor note.)

What is a bit unusual about Hermann is that this town is only 85 miles from the big bad city. And, there are plenty of small towns further away with measurable crime. Hermann is more like Minnesota/Wisconsin than rural Missouri.

When I buy big ticket items they need to be signed for so can’t get stolen. No way would I live in a town that small DP.When we go to Kenosha we struggle to find stuff to do without driving to Milwaukee or Chicago and Kenosha has 100k/population.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I ordered a new turntable from the worlds most wealthy man’s website. About a week later a tattered sad looking cardboard box ended up on my porch. The contents rattled and tinkled as I picked up the box. When I opened it, the contents were obviously not packed properly as only a thin piece of packing paper was rolled up in the space in a feeble hurried attempt to keep the box from shifting in transit. The dust cover was cracked, the turntable had shifted and the stylus cartridge had been scraping numerous surfaces.

I learned a lesson and just drove the fifty miles to a Best Buy where I hand picked my turntable, gently transported it home and put it into use. The online fad is nearing a bubble. Besos has milked it for all he can get. Time to revolt!
    It is rare that I purchase online. I want to participate in keeping my community afloat. Local jobs to support local residents. I especially try to buy in small businesses not big chains. Sometimes it costs more. That is no longer a priority for me. Keeping my community alive is my priority. Says she who does very little shopping. Clothing is my issue-can't purchase my size except at chain stores...at least it's still local jobs though.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I dont buy electronics online because there is no safe place for them to be delivered. Ghetto culture supports and encourages theft from my front porch. But I will risk deliveries of less expensive items. And it does seem that lately USPS, Fed Ex. and UPS are more careful at placing boxes in a semi-hidden place.

My most recent online purchase was a Japanese Ikebana container, packed to the nines. It was shipped to me the US but originated in Japan.
    After having had a theft from my mailbox, I sprang for a PO box. But I often get stuff delivered too, because between Amazon and UPS, I can usually anticipate its arrival within a few minutes. I also use Amazon Locker; everything's safe there. I had one item a few years back that arrived without a crucial part, and Amazon sent me a new one with no need to return the old one. Bezos may be the devil himself, but I'm not in a position to traipse from store to store at this point. I've bought everything from computers and TVs to socks online, and happily so.
    Last edited by JaneV2.0; 9-23-18 at 1:13pm.

I just don’t enjoy wasting my time to drive to stores. So easy to shop and comparison price at home.

Thread Information