Thread: Local frugal types

Local frugal types

The old saying: "You are who you hang out with has some truth to it."

For this reason I was trying to find some local yokels into frugality. But no luck on my internet searches.

So I thought: What about books?

In place of having a social circle to create positive peer pressure, I am just going to keep a constant rotation of books about frugal living and money saving.

Thoughts? Do you think having a real life frugal crew would be helpful?

In all of our wide group of friends, we essentially know one person who is a Millionaire next Door type. They are rare. He is the only person we discuss net worth with.

My cousins and family have several of that type, but they live in another state.

We actually are not living like Millionaires Next Door any more because I am spending the stash.! But—I lived that way for decades. DH would still live that way if not influenced by me.

I have a few close friends that have asked for money advice and we can talk honestly about the topic. None of my friends are keeping up with the Joneses.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I have a few close friends that have asked for money advice and we can talk honestly about the topic. None of my friends are keeping up with the Joneses.
    There is keeping up with Jones, and there is deliberately considering each and every purchase, and a wide range of behavior in between.

our close friend is what I consider to be a spendthrift, she would disagree. But her net assets are about half a million dollars, so that is more than the average American has especially at her age, late 60’s. But she could easily be at $ 1.5million with careful investing and not payong interest on evey damn thing she buys. See, that asset building activity just isnt important for some people.

none of our friends are conspicuous consumer, exactly, and with exception to friend anove.

but they make some blow out buys.

our friends who are 80 years old travel all of the time. They both work to fund this activity. Nothing wrong with that, but
    I wouldn't call them frugal Just recently they paid off their mortgage. A mortgage at 80 years old and still working? Ugh, nope.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 9-13-18 at 3:41pm.

My closest group of friends with whom I can freely discuss about anything have a range of revenue resources, some limited and some affluent. It is not usually discussed at all as we are all basically frugal in our mindset so it is not an issue.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    My closest group of friends with whom I can freely discuss about anything have a range of revenue resources, some limited and some affluent. It is not usually discussed at all as we are all basically frugal in our mindset so it is not an issue.
    oh, we talk about income with several people, because we all are navigating retirement land. But I dont talk about assets.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 9-13-18 at 6:19pm.

I am thinking of taking an in-person Dave Ramsey class. There is one that starts next month in a nearby church.

You could start a book group and pick frugal books. Think meetup probably (yea that's not free).
    Trees don't grow on money

I used to belong to a group. It was friends and friends-of-friends all with frugality and simplicity in common - although most of us HAD to be frugal rather than chose to be frugal. But we all still embraced the lifestyle. We used to pick a book to read and discuss, and we would share more day-to-day things like food storage & recipes, solar power, gifting/re-gifting, thrift shopping, etc.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Think public library - ask if they will let you have a book discussion group on one of the books. They will probably advertise it for free.

Thread Information