Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Keep a Third Dog?

Where is the emoji of shock when one needs it? $400/mth!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    We have Maltese and a husky shepherd mix. A mix of genders and it’s never been a issue. Even when we had 4 females and 2 males. Although we are reducing our numbers mainly due to the cost of vet bills and medications. At one point we were spending 400/month just on medications.

Right now I spend 150/month on the 2 generic medications the big guy takes. The 2 little Maltese that have since passed were both on 3 different medications 3x’s/day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenngal View Post
    We've had 2 female pugs for years. They get along fine. One is a little bossy and the other one does not really care.
    Pugs!
    I have been looking at Pug rescue sites. I miss having a small dog
    I can pick up and carry around. Our (nice) Frenchie was our travel dog, she was well behaved in hotels. As much as I love my big goofy bulldog, and I DO adore him! He is no,travel,dog. He barks in hotels when crated.

We will not do more Fremchie since I am burned out of them, they be crazy. But a pug! That may be the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post

Her breeder has dementia, and she wasn't able to take care of them anymore....
    we had a similar situation and took in 6 French bulldogs from elderly breeders on one day. That was an adventure i will tell you.

All of our Maltese have traveled well. I also fly with them. My 5lb one I would carry in a sling and still have both hands free.

IL, did you keep all the dogs or adopt them out?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    IL, did you keep all the dogs or adopt them out?
    We kept the two oldest dogs, ages 10 and 12 at the time. They were a bonded pair, mother and daughter. I thought “how long can these dogs live anyway? We will just keep them until they expire, should not be long“.

hahahah

hahahah....Nope!

the eldest outlived the entire pack and died at age 16. She was sweet, but lord were they yappy. And her little daughter who was supposedly “bonded “ to her got crankier and crankier as she aged and finally could not get along with any dogs, even her mother. Had to keep all of them separate, 3 female Franchies, fights every day if not separated.

Of the Six Pack we gave three away to dog people who we kinda-sorta knew thru the dog world grapevine. The pretty one inthe group died fairly soon of a heart attack.

We gave one away to a veterinarian involved in Frenchie rescue.. She seemed very sick to us, so who knows how long she lived.

All of these dogs died before our two elderly ones. Frenchies are crazy popular right now and
    I would not touch them with a ten foot pole. The dogs we had were bred by
    Herschal Cox (well known breeder of blonde French bulldogs) well before the Frenchie craze invaded America, and they were all .champions. I will say that if this is the best the breed delivers, ah, no thanks. They are yappy, not-bright, bossy, and poop eating. No doubt they are better as individual pets. “Our” dog, related to the six pack, was actually a lovely little,
    dog on her own although quite bossy.

Your story reminds me what I said to my husband 4 years ago. Noki is 9 how long can he live? He is now 13 and today is having surgery for a tumor on his dew claw. We have to remove it because it is growing at record speed. His blood work is excellent and I have his hip pain well controlled on 2 medications. Nice of you to take all those dogs in. The breed doesn’t sound like something I would want to deal with. The Maltese are needy but I don’t mind that. We rescued a Westin mix that had issues from abuse. She was a challenge at times. My plan now is to have just 1 or 2 Maltese. Cheaper and easier. I have to brush the big guy daily because he gets skin infections. He is also a 80 lb shedding machine but he is so sweet and loving. He puts up with all sorts of crap from the little ones.

they have been the most easygoing dogs.......really laid back.

We recently added a third to our herd. I tell hubby that he needed us. He was at a rescue, and too old and sickly to be desirable. He has a,heart murmur, a fatty tumor and no teeth. Oh, and they say severely overweight! And as ugly as sin - not that Schnauzers are attractive to anyone but a schnauzer lover.

I agree the female dog can be a real bitch! Our existing male is unpacked and the new guy doesn't inflame the female, just sort of ignores her. It's the best personality trait I've ever seen!

Thread Information