Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keep a Third Dog?

Keep a Third Dog?

Eleven days ago I got a dog back that I helped place 6 months ago. At that time, she was on the slender side, and could have been fine gaining a pound or 2. Now she weighs a TON- no kidding, I can hardly pick her up, much less carry her. She probably weighs 32 lbs, and should be between 18-20 lbs. She is a pretty red and white parti cocker spaniel. They gave her up, because they really didn't like her, and because they thought she was peeing on the floor- no, it was the 17.5 yr old chi mix, poor guy... But their 3rd dog was bullying her, she hid under furniture if she was out- but mostly she was kept in a crate, like, 24/7. And fed 3 cups of white rice a day. She was neglected emotionally and physically.

She has fit right in with my 2 cockers, my boy taught her puppy play, and they tumble a few times a day. She plays with toys, races around the yard with my 2, and is slowly regaining her confidence and spunk. They can all be found lounging on the floor together. She sleeps back to back with my girl beside my bed at night. She also had a bad leg/hip/foot? too long nails? that is almost resolved, she only limps occasionally, rather than continually. Initially she lost a bit of puffiness, but no weight changes since.

I have a vet appt for her next week. We'll do blood work to see if there's a medical reason for the weight gain. But I expect not, and she will get put on a very low calorie diet.

She is an easy keeper. She doesn't look for anything from me and enjoys the other dogs' company. Several of my friends have commented "How nice! you should keep her." Six months ago I had my pick of 18 gorgeous retired show cockers, of which she is one, and decided not to keep any of them. I have 2 young dogs, just 1 and almost 4. Vet care is expensive, and I didn't want to plan for expenses for 3.... I could probably find her another home, but she's already been moved 3 times in 6 months, I don't know if she would be ok another time. I just really don't know what to do. Ideas, anyone?

Well, three makes a pack, that number is very different than two. They form alliances. Is she the only female?

you could keep her a good long time to find truly the right home and get her weight under control. Poor little doggie. Why isnt her breeder placing her?

I would keep her. We always have between 3-4 dogs.

Yes, 3 makes a pack. So I don't have pets anymore, I have a pack of dogs, 2 girls and one boy. I much prefer my pets.

Her breeder has dementia, and she wasn't able to take care of them anymore, which was why all of them got placed.
    I like the idea of keeping her long enough to get her weight down.

In my breed, bulldogs, we really dislike placing females together. It seems that eventually they want to kill each other even when spayed. But a bunch of boys will live together as easy going bros. Go figure.

I think it’s traumatic every time a dog has a new home.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I think it’s traumatic every time a dog has a new home.
    Yes, no one wants to bounce them around, thats for sure. Sometimes it cant be helped.

We've had 2 female pugs for years. They get along fine. One is a little bossy and the other one does not really care.

Congratulations on your new family--er, pack--member!

We have Maltese and a husky shepherd mix. A mix of genders and it’s never been a issue. Even when we had 4 females and 2 males. Although we are reducing our numbers mainly due to the cost of vet bills and medications. At one point we were spending 400/month just on medications.

Thread Information