Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting my groove back

Getting my groove back

So I am feeling good about work, not just that I am in a more positive culture but that I am doing some good things that seem to be a good fit. At least they are being received positively. I have some moments of cringe from my last job but they are manageable and pass.

I had a kiddo, easily our most difficult child, who was asked to move from the gym and needed to take a break from activities for a really disrespectful interaction with staff. Pretty much everyone is having a hard time. So I spent a long time getting her to come to the area she needed to take her break, she could have a book or some drawing paper but she had to go to that cool down place. It took well over 5 minutes, usually she responds to me better than others. I got the report paper for behavior issues and finally she said she had bigger things to worry about. What came out was a crying jag and telling me her mother has told her she is giving her away. The girl said that she is trying to be better, and that she didn't want me to call the police.

I felt good about getting to that break through, I had to do a social services call, and had total support from my supervisor.

Other cool things are that a supervisor had to come out for an emergency (my assistant had to go to the hospital for his pregnant girlfriend urgently) and said our program was great. Apparently she is the hardest one to impress. I also had a supervisor there when licensing came to visit and inspect after an injury and she thought I did well. Plus the nurse consultant found our medications were in good shape and paperwork in order. All in 40 hours a week!

i heard a little about my old site, they don't have enrichment clubs going, the new person is trying to get the most difficult student out instead of trying to work with him, and the new person even slept through a morning shift one day leaving the only staff person seriously out of ratio. Really happy to be moved on and have a life again.

ZG, that’s why I had to get out of social work. That poor girl. It’s heartbreaking but you handled it well. Glad you are in a better environment.

Good to hear!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Ah that poor kid, her mom is going to,give her away. Thst is a heavy load for her.

With regard to the girl, so great that you could a) pay attention, b) have patience and work through it with her, and c) handle it professionally.

I'm glad you have a workplace where your assets can shine, ZG!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I hope the poor kid lands on her feet; she probably felt better after her meltdown. Good for you for being patient with her.

I couldn't be happier for you and your new job, which sounds like it's run by humans who know how to supervise. I hope the path ahead is smooth and wide.

This is so cheering to hear ZoeGirl. You have worked a long time to get to a place where you are treated humanely.

This post made me happy!

ETA: Happy for ZG, not for the poor kid.

ZG, if I ever get to Colorado again I definitely want to meet you.

Yes Terry, I would love to meet you, i did meet lhamo once but no one else

Thread Information