Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "There's No Place Like Home"

"There's No Place Like Home"

This is what I was feeling, and what I said tonight, to my new summer friends.

I had a very busy week: starting with a delayed flight from BTV to EWR. Then I found myself in Newark not knowing how to get home--I preferred the train because it was pouring in Newark but I missed the Amtrak train into Philly I was trying to get. I wound up at my NJ home after having driven through the rain 40 miles.

Next day a very stressful first day of research followed by a second. More rain. More driving.

Next day, catch up day at home to keep up with 4 projects.

Next day, a presentation delivery from my car at 8am in the parking lot of a fast food place that wasn't opened yet but where luckily I could get WiFi, because I had to make sure I delivered a great presentation and then get on an 11:00 plane to Houston for a different client.

Houston Thursday and Friday. Too much client time for me--as an introvert. I saw my power waning through two days of meetings + dinners as quickly as the the little blue lights on the power pack I always keep in my computer bag. But still, I was wired at the end of the day, needing to decompress.

I heard early in the week that my very favorite aunt with whom I am extremely close, is in hospice. No immediate reason--just old age and frailty. So I decided on Friday that rather than go to my NJ home, I'd stay in a hotel in Newark and get up early and drive to the Connecticut facility she's in and then drive up to VT. I saw her.. she is very, very frail, but her beautiful blue eyes light up and she still has some sense of humor. I'm devastated about losing her. I was her flower girl, but she is my soul sister.

So I drove 4 hours to Vermont by way of New Haven, dropped off the rental car at BTV and then called Uber to take me 40 minutes to the islands. I was afraid he'd refuse (if he can). He's got a good gig with the college crowd in Burlington, but he didn't refuse.

The icing on the cake of the whole darned week was when I directed the Uber driver to my house down the narrow dirt road, and across the gravel path I saw 5 shadows--my neighbors and DH sitting around the weekend fire pit. I stepped out of the Jeep Cherokee and they all started in a chorus: "Catherine!!! Catherine! What a great surprise!! Come on over! [J...] missed you and so did we!!" They offered me moonshine (really) and fresh baked cookies.

Wow. I had felt all week that I really wanted to get back to VT. And when I drove up 89, and viewed the ribbon of road framed by grey/green mountain peaks, I wanted to be "home." I finally made it up here, and my neighbors confirmed for me that I am, indeed, home.

I'm not looking forward to the winter in NJ.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

So maybe you need to make Vermont permanent and sell the New Jersey home.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    So maybe you need to make Vermont permanent and sell the New Jersey home.
    Yes, TT. I am more and more sure that's what I need to do.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Seriously my husband and I could come help you declutter in a exchange for a place to stay so we could explore and enjoy the area. I have helped many people sell their stuff and move on.

Home is an intriguing concept.

Catherine, i second Teacher Terry's offer and maybe we could both come help--what fun!

Catherine, I'm in NJ and have always wanted to move to VT. You are living my dream! LOL. What a wonderful, warm welcome after a long week.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

TT and Tybee--that would be fun! I'll think about it! Thanks for the offer.

happystuff, this dream was a long time in the making for me, so there's always hope for yours! NJ was great while it lasted--I have lived there 33 years, so it's not that I don't love NJ, too, it's just that it has outlived its usefulness.

UL: Yes, I agree. "Home" is a very interesting concept. I'm fascinated by it, actually. One of my very favorite movies/books is House of Sand and Fog. Very intense movie about what "home" meant to two completely different people.

Awwww, nice! Two houses are expensive, so get rid of that NJ property asap.

Like you have said, if VT is just too cold and isolated in winter you can rent a place elsewhere.

Tybee, that would be fun with the 3 of us!

Thread Information