Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "There's No Place Like Home"

Our sales tax is over 8%.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Our sales tax is over 8%.
    Weird, I checked online. sorry for my error-must have been an old year.

Our property taxes are stupid low at 700/year. The house is valued between 350-400k. I wonder if the sales tax different in different counties.

Our property taxes are stupid low at 700/year. The house is valued between 350-400k. I wonder if the sales tax different in different counties.
    Holy cow that's low. We're $5200 for both and value of each is 275-300k. And I thought our taxes were low!

Taxes are partially based on age of home and ours was built in 1950. Would be higher if newer.

Taxes are partially based on age of home and ours was built in 1950. Would be higher if newer.
    I have to disagree with you on that … My previous house I purchased in 1989 I paid 125k for it and the taxes were 1500. I sold in 2003 for 500K and my taxes were over 5000. no remodel or up grades to make the value go up

It sold 2 years ago for over one million as a tear down. It was built in 1978. one acre, 1700 sq ft 3 bdrm 2 full bath, 2+ car attached garage with a 4 stall monitor style barn. There is now 5 houses on it and they are priced in the mid 900K each

Boss, I am talking Nevada only. Here the age of the home is factored into the tax formula. I have lived in 5 other states that did Not do that. When I lived in a newer house not worth as much my taxes were higher.

The feeling of being "home" in an actual house is not something I understand. Please describe it.

I think I understand the general feeling of being "home" though. I remember feeling a certain emotional sensation when I was married and we had both Harlan and Lilith. I remember thinking: "This is what it feels like to be at home."

But the feeling was just being with my then wife and both my pups.

I had not felt that way before.

But I will say I had a feeling akin to "home" in Israel. I just felt so comfortable and happy there. I did not want to leave. I did not want to go back to the US. I only missed my dog.

Thread Information