Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hawaii recommendations?

Have been too Maui four times and this past January went to the big island, Oahu and Maui. Both Oahu and the big island had some interesting things but hands down Maui was our favorite. The big island is the cheapest, Oahu is more touristy, Maui has the best beaches with ton of things to do.

Yppej
    It sounds like I don't want Oahu. I heard Kauai is cheap also. Did you all book everything separately or get package deals?

I book separately because we use FF miles. I usually book a condo through VRBO and have found some really great deals. After this last trip we will be doing our car rental through Costco in the future.

We've done it separately. We used FF miles both times. You can find a VRBO under $150/night. Or if you have friends who will go, you can spend less per person renting a larger place. Get a really small car for just a few days for going all over the island and then enjoy the location you're living in. We've always stayed in Kapaa. Rent snorkel gear for your entire stay. Cheap entertainment and fabulous snorkling there. Be sure your rental has an outdoor grill so you can cook your own fresh foods. Not that dinner at Dukes isn't awesome mind you.

If you go to the big island and the volcano is still flowing I'd absolutely recommend doing one of the boat trips out to look at it. We were there last October and it was insanely amazing. Not cheap though. And the return trip (the boats depart from the southeast corner of the island) was incredibly, painfully bumpy and wet. But the cost and physical discomfort were well worth it. We got close enough that one of the boat hands dipped a bucket in the ocean and the water was easily over 100 degrees.

Yppej
    So today I tried to book my trip and it was not simple at all. Expedia tried running my card 9 times (3 times each for 3 transactions - they don't run it themselves but have different airlines and travel agents do it). It took me 2 hours to get it straightened out with my credit card company, as one incompetent offshored person passed me to another. Finally I reached a woman in Maryland who fixed everything and told me they have a lot of problems with Expedia and to book with an airline direct. In the meantime seeing the 14+ hour fly times each way, and the odd flight hours offered, made me really rethink how much I would enjoy the trip. I had thought of going through AAA as they heavily advertise their travel services, but they don't offer them at any branch within an hour's radius. So I chose Expedia so I could bundle air and rental car.

Anyways now I am thinking I will try to go to Alaska instead. It is a little closer and everyone I know says good things about Alaska Airlines. I would also like to see Seattle which possibly could be combined into the same trip.

But thank you anyways for your responses. Maybe they will help someone else.

Thread Information