Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting Back On Track

We are in San Francisco so walked 15000 steps yesterday.

Get a dog! (joking--kind of) I found that when I am forced to walk a dog 2-3 times a day I do much better in the "moderate activity" department. I also heard a thought leader in osteoporosis saying that if more women had dogs, there would be less incidence of osteoporosis.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Get a dog! (joking--kind of) I found that when I am forced to walk a dog 2-3 times a day I do much better in the "moderate activity" department. I also heard a thought leader in osteoporosis saying that if more women had dogs, there would be less incidence of osteoporosis.
    "Paddy" Ekekakis, an assistant professor of health and human performance at Iowa State University, says, "Many have argued that the most effective piece of exercise equipment is a dog."
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Oh man, I am really sore from physical therapy today; she worked me hard. Then I ran errands all day and got in and out of the car about 20 times. My body says REST!

Catherine , I have 3 dogs that I walk everyday. I always get 10k Steps.

SQ, at the beginning of this post you mentioned losing your daughter. 3 1/2 years ago I lost my husband suddenly, no warning, and all of a sudden I was a widow and totally alone. I had always been a very healthy person, blood pressure low, cholesterol ran low, hardly ever had flu or even a cold, etc. Then after DH was gone, BOOM! I was sick every few months with something going around, thyroid totally not working, a coughing thing last December that lasted the whole month, and on and on. My point it, I truly believe that grief does something physical to our bodies. It not only knocks us on our buts emotionally and zones us out sometimes mentally, but I think the immune system takes a beating too. Just my thoughts from my own experience.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Your thoughts and emotions have a great deal to do with your health status. Who knows - maybe most of it?

7 years ago my friend lost her daughter to a rare liver disease that came on suddenly. She was only 19. Very hard to deal with and was sick often.

I am very sorry for your loss, Sad Eyed Lady...grief really does affect the body in so many ways. I never knew this on such a cellular level, as my daughter was the first person who was extremely close to me who has died (I still have both of my parents; my mom is 87 and my dad is 91).

I find that it leaves me exhausted a lot of the time - it was much worse earlier in the summer and during the time I was in limbo between the emergency "crisis" trip back to Michigan and when we had her memorial service a few weeks ago. All the flying back and forth, a one way 3.5 day driving trip back to New Mexico that made my hip and butt issues act up (my pelvis loves to get out of alignment at the drop of a hat). I have had a lot of physical pain from all my various musuclo-skeletal issues all summer.

Good news is that this past week I have been starting to feel like my old self a little bit - I am getting stronger again, I am doing PT for the pelvis issue (though after yesterday she left me with bruises on my thigh from trying to loosen up my IT band that runs from the hip to the knee I had surgery on last year).

All I can do is keep on keeping, trying to move forward. I am much more able to listen to my body and try to give it what it needs and not try to power through things when I know I am hurting and need to rest and be still. All this while go through the normal aging process is a lot for the body to adjust to, I am finding out.

SiouzQ,

i don’t know how you keep going. You are doing well. Keep being kind to yourself.

i swam 1200 yards tonight.

Thread Information