Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smart phone

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    If I leave the house with my iPhone I feel "under-dressed". But I use my laptop much more than the phone.
    Ditto. I use mine as a pager--people call me and I decide whether or not to call back, effectively freeing me from annoying junk calls--and emergencies, which--Thankfully, I haven't had yet. But I like a big screen, personally.

I continue to be on the fence about going back to a dumbphone. On the one hand, the smartphone appeals to the minimalist in me, since it packs so many functions into a single package: phone, text, camera, email, clock, MP3 player, etc. etc. etc. On the other hand, I actually use only a few of these features, and most of the ones I do use are available on a dumbphone. I hardly ever use the camera, for example, or the web browsing capability (I find my No. 1 use of the browser is to check traffic in my area). However, a dumbphone would be only slightly cheaper in terms of monthly cost.

The thing I find most annoying is the bloatware they load these things with and the continual invading of my privacy. I know you can shut most of this stuff off, and I have, but it bugs me that I have to, and even when you think you've gotten rid of all of it something new pops up. I also really miss the flip phone form factor--seems trivial, but it bothers me more than I thought it would.

I admit that I was one of those mossbacks who clung to his flip phone until his family literally wrested it away from him. But it’s growing on me.

Over time, I’ve gotten spoiled by all the things it can do for me. GPS and mapping mean I never need to degrade myself by asking for directions. I have an app that emulates my favorite calculator. I have a pocket sized cineplex whenever I want. Siri’s wise counsel is always available. A flashlight and a compass and a calendar keep my pockets less full. The wonders of the American credit and banking system are at my fingertips.

I used to view the future in terms of flying cars and underwater cities. Now I see it’s all about the phones.

My flip phone has a camera. It has web access too, but on a 1.5 inch screen, why bother.

When I'm abroad in the world, I appreciate my smart phone.

Quote Originally Posted by oldhat View Post
    On the other hand, I actually use only a few of these features, and most of the ones I do use are available on a dumbphone. I hardly ever use the camera, for example, or the web browsing capability (I find my No. 1 use of the browser is to check traffic in my area). However, a dumbphone would be only slightly cheaper in terms of monthly cost.
    The cost would depend somewhat on your carrier. Our carrier, Consumer Cellular, makes packages of data optional (and -- bonus -- shareable among all on the account). For the very-light-use folks, dumbphones can cost as little as $3-10/month.

Quote Originally Posted by oldhat View Post
    I also really miss the flip phone form factor--seems trivial, but it bothers me more than I thought it would.
    Samsung has offered a couple of folding smartphones, in limited editions and at seemingly unlimited prices. And Alcatel's GO FLIP runs a Google-supplied operating system (as do some other higher-end dumbphones, like the new Nokias; it's not Android) so it has the flip form factor but a more-standardized set of features than the completely-proprietary OSes that dumbphones offered in the past.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Personally I don't actually make many non-work phone calls anymore. Most of my personal communications now happen via text, email or facebook posts. The exceptions are for things like dealing with my cat's prescription refills, the auto body shop (hopefully just a one time short term thing), etc. Even my doc's office now has an app and I can make appointments through it.

As LDAHL mentions, I love all the other non-phone things I can use my iPhone for. GPS, Camera, podcasts/music/pandora, calculator (not being an accountant I just use the native iOS calculator), weather forecaster, newsreader (the Pocket app is great for storing and retrieving articles) and wikipedia (most often used for "where are they now?" searches when we're out at happy hour friday listening to one hit wonder classic rock tunes (Dead or Alive? ("you spin me right round, baby right round, like a record, baby right round right round") Dead. At age 57...) are all on my first page of apps screen.

When I travel, whether for work or vacation I don't take my laptop (work or personal). I just use my phone for everything, and I'm fine with it. Maybe one day I will abandon the laptop even at home, but I'm just not quite ready to use a 5.whatever inch screen for all my non-work needs.

Love my iPhone 8 Plus. I splurged on the biggest memory and I’m so glad I did. I take lots of pictures with my phone and I don’t have to clear them out of the camera roll due to space concerns. I also download my dive computer logs via Bluetooth directly to phone to dive logging app. Love it.

Williamsmith
    What we are discussing is a technological substitute for a brain and patience.

This is a phone:

rotary-dial-telephone.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I finally got a smart phone.
    Congrats! You are a cyborg now.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    But I wont be carrying the thing, too much trouble.
    Resistance is futile!

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    What we are discussing is a technological substitute for a brain and patience.
    I’ll bet you said the same thing about the wheel.

Thread Information