Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Housing cost -all in

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    I think ours is around $700 a month without cell phone, repairs, and improvements. Urban location, paid off house, low utilities, and taxes. We have lived here around 17 years. Makes it very hard to move since nothing will ever be as inexpensive.
    This is why it makes the most sense to stay in the same house for a long, long time. As I recall, this is one of the things mentioned in Millionaire Next Door book(s). Moving really does more often than not have a bad impact on net worth.
    But not in all cases, it makes sense in cases when it makes sense financially of course.

Our monthly housing costs, including internet and phones, and garbage and utilities, paid off 1610 foot brand new house with two car garage in a rural but gated community:
    $588 total, as follows:

$110 property taxes
    $100 HOA (covers community center and community landscaping)
    $ 70 Home insurance
    $ 55 Water and sewer
    $ 28 garbage
    $140 electricity
    $ 85 ISP and phones

This does not include savings for future expenditures for house maintenance, appliances. Also did not include any one time expenditures for lawn related items, or pest control. So those have to be considered when comparing costs to apartments where these things would be covered.

We are moving soon, so expenses then will be:

Mortgage/rent- $0
    Property taxes- $10 (property taxes on 5 acres in this state is cheap!)
    Electric- $150 (all electric, rural, smaller home so less than previous $200+ monthly)
    Cell- $45 (2 phones, no data)
    Internet- $45 (rural satellite)
    Water/sewer- $0 (water well, septic)
    Cable/satellite/streaming- $8 (Netflix, antennae)
    Total: $258

Currently, difference of +$185 lot rent, +$50 or more electric on bigger house and inefficient cooling system = $493 monthly

Yppej
    Septic is not free. Are you never going to pump the tank?

Quote Originally Posted by Packratona! View Post
    This is why it makes the most sense to stay in the same house for a long, long time. As I recall, this is one of the things mentioned in Millionaire Next Door book(s). Moving really does more often than not have a bad impact on net worth. But not in all cases, it makes sense in cases when it makes sense financially of course.
    When I started in the OR, I worked with this wonderful gentle male surgeon. At his retirement celebration hosted by the hospital (the good old days), I met his wife. She was elegant and charming and a warm soul. She was a proud wife of a humble surgeon. What struck me then (and perhaps helped me), was that they were retiring in the very home they bought when they arrived in town to begin his career as a surgeon, fresh out of residency.

They never needed anything grand. They wanted their lovely home with all it's memories of time, of family, of successes and heartbreaks.

God Rest his Soul

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    When I started in the OR, I worked with this wonderful gentle male surgeon. At his retirement celebration hosted by the hospital (the good old days), I met his wife. She was elegant and charming and a warm soul. She was a proud wife of a humble surgeon. What struck me then (and perhaps helped me), was that they were retiring in the very home they bought when they arrived in town to begin his career as a surgeon, fresh out of residency.

They never needed anything grand. They wanted their lovely home with all it's memories of time, of family, of successes and heartbreaks.

God Rest his Soul
    That is a beautiful tribute

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post

God Rest his Soul
    I would have loved to have stayed in our original home, and have regrets for not trying to do so. But the writing was on the wall, high tax state with limited job opportunities for my husband. But I was burned out, quit my stable decent income job, and we moved to low tax state. Was it worth it? Not sure. Relocation is costly, and we had to leave family. Looking back, I kind of wish we had tried to stay. But can't go backwards in time!

My sentiments mirror Packratonis. Financially, moving out of state was a great move but in matters of the heart, it has been a little challenging. I will have to tally our house expenses but not including improvement, probably around $350-500 a month.

Thread Information