Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1.5 quart crock pot gift for myself...

1.5 quart crock pot gift for myself...

Saturday I was walking through the Kroger getting some groceries. Needed some oats and berries!

I cut through the kitchen appliance isle and saw the 1.5 quart crock pot on sale for $7.50 (plus tax) -- which means it was half price.

The crock pot I have currently is huge-a-mungo and covers much of my counter space. So I thought: "What the heck. I will grab this little crock pot for a low cost and donate my big one."

And as I reached up and grabbed it off the shelf I realized: "I am probably not ever going to get married again or have a life partner."

This one-man crock pot fully confirms my status as "born again bachelor."

And now you can always bring the cheese dip to the parties.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    And now you can always bring the cheese dip to the parties.

Very true!

When I use my crock pot, it is on from when I leave for work about 8:30 until I get home around 4:30. I always wondered whether the smaller crock pots would do okay for that long a period. I would love to hear your thoughts after you have used it a few times.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    When I use my crock pot, it is on from when I leave for work about 8:30 until I get home around 4:30. I always wondered whether the smaller crock pots would do okay for that long a period. I would love to hear your thoughts after you have used it a few times.
    The 1.5 has one setting: low.

So if you are making pulled chicken that you'd cook for 4 hours in the big one on high, then you cook it for 7-8 hours in the 1.5.

Also, you just plug it in to turn it on. You unplug it to turn it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    The 1.5 has one setting: low.

So if you are making pulled chicken that you'd cook for 4 hours in the big one on high, then you cook it for 7-8 hours in the 1.5.

Also, you just plug it in to turn it on. You unplug it to turn it off.
    I had one of those small ones for a while. I didn't find it worth the space it took up. Whatever you can cook in the small one, you can cook in the big one. This worries me a little, UL, because an “extra”crockpot is what normies buy, or even kitchen hoarders. Keep an eye on that acquisition urge.

In crockpot news: i have made two batches of spaghetti sauce this week. We have tone of garden tomatoes coming in, so I cut them up, added fresh basic, dried oregano, garlic, onions, parmesean, cheese, and cooked for hours. While these werre not Roma type tomatoes for sauce, they were ok.

There is something wrong with my brain because I haven't thought to use the crockpot for this before. When we make tomatoe sauce we cook it on the stove, and for hours. And have to watch it. And it is messy. Doh. Crockpot really good for this use!

I bought a crockpot about that size to make cannabis salve a couple of years ago. Since I probably won't make it again, it's likely to go out with the next purge.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I had one of those small ones for a while. I didn't find it worth the space it took up. Whatever you can cook in the small one, you can cook in the big one. This worries me a little, UL, because an “extra”crockpot is what normies buy, or even kitchen hoarders. Keep an eye on that acquisition urge.
    I threw my older bigger one in the trash! No worries.

I also flogged myself on the back for several minutes after the purchase. So I think I am all set.

Last year I bought a mini-crockpot for $10 at Target. I bought it because someone said it's a great way to make steel-cut oatmeal overnight, and I sure didn't want a gallon of oatmeal every day. Also, I thought I might use it because in my mind it would be easier to make smaller meals than big meals. I love veggie-only soups and stews, but DH doesn't. But I'm not sure that it IS any easier.

Bottom line: I have never once used that crockpot. I think I value my time such that I really want to only make crockpot meals that I can save for the future. I still miss my larger crockpot. It's a tough decision but I may bring my maxi-crock to my mini-cabin next year. And give away the small one.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I will confess. I have never used a slow cooker of any sort.

In my current reduced circumstances, I am wondering if it might be wise to investigate them more fully.

Thread Information