Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1.5 quart crock pot gift for myself...

Our convection/microwave eliminates most of our need for the oven. So I guess it depends on what you use your big oven for--if it's broiling, you're better off with a toaster oven, but if it's baking, you can't beat a convection/microwave.

We're debating on whether or not to bring up a toaster next year. This year we buttered bread on both sides and then toasted it in the cast iron pan. It works fine. I have to weigh a little extra convenience with the idea of another gadget in the kitchen.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

This one says it's convection. Wow!

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-TOA...t+toaster+oven

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Our convection/microwave ....
    Convection/microwave. I may swoon. In my endless anticipation of the flying cars and Mars colony promised to me in my youth, I somehow overlooked this great leap into the future.

Oh brave new world!

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Convection/microwave. I may swoon. In my endless anticipation of the flying cars and Mars colony promised to me in my youth, I somehow overlooked this great leap into the future.

Oh brave new world!
    Convection/Microwave units are pretty standard these days in motorhomes, we have one in ours. Unfortunately, I have very little experience using it. We've found that if we use it while the A/C is on, we blow a fuse, but I hear they're wonderful.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post

Yeah, that's nice!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post

I've looked at that one and the Breville--they both get good reviews.

We bought a microwave in 2005 that is also a convection and regular oven. It was expensive (800). We were entertaining a lot then so frequently used that oven and my big oven. Fast forward to moving to this smaller house 6 years ago and haven't used any of the oven features once.

bae, you don't sound like slow-cooker material. There's nothing you can do in a slow cooker that you could not do with a large cast-iron pot and a stove. It's basically a portable 250-degree oven and if you already have a vessel and heating source, it's nothing new for you.

Now if you choose to go with a toaster oven (I did, for many years, as a married twosome and single, until a strong preference for real toast by Someone Else made purchasing a toaster sufficiently necessary), you may not have the physical oven space for that large pot. You might want to consider how often you (at least plan to) cook foods that require low-and-slow-and-wet and adjust your appliance purchases accordingly.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I do like a regular toaster for toast--not sure why I prefer it. I have never been able to get the same toasty results at my son's house with the toaster oven. But my sil makes wonderful cinnamon toast with hers.

The nice thing about a crockpot is you don’t have to be home to watch it like you do if you use the stove.

Thread Information