Thread: New Bicycle Speed Record 183.93 MPH

New Bicycle Speed Record 183.93 MPH

A very strong 45-year-old Denise Mueller-Korenek recently rode a bicycle with 17" wheels for 5 miles on a the Bonneville Salt Flats, achieving a maximum speed of 183.93 MPH. That speed is 17 MPH faster than anyone ever went on a bicycle. (A spill at that speed can break more than 25 bones...)

For the first 2 miles she was towed by an automobile, accelerating to about 100 MPH. Only then was it possible for her legs to turn the cranks. Her bike was geared so that one revolution of the cranks would propel her forward for 128 feet.

She then was untethered from the automobile and gave 'er Snus accelerating by pedal power to about 184 MPH.

Wow!

Amazing! It'd be scary as all hell to be cycling that fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Amazing! It'd be scary as all hell to be cycling that fast.
    I think you could easily beat it, if you had a parachute handy.

I sometimes get up to 17 mph on my bike/trike and that feels fast enough to me
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

I am impressed. That's about 140 miles per hour than I can remember riding on either one of my two bikes and 40 miles an hour on a bike is very fast! Then I was riding with a friend who was a bike racer. I don't feel the need to try that again. 10 or 15 miles per hour is fast enough. 180 miles per hour is a mile every 20 seconds! I prefer sustainable bicycling 10 0r 15 miles per hour, 40 or 50 miles per week. bicyclist

Thread Information