Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: mopping floors

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Once a month I have cleaners come and scrub the floors on hands and knees and clean the bathrooms. Cheaper to pay them $60 then go to the chiropractor a bunch from throwing my back out. I also have robots.
    Oh, I would love to have someone come in and clean!

Robots...somehow I'm picturing Data from "Star Trek" cleaning your floors!

These are such great ideas, especially the Swiffer hack! Thank you all. I always get such good ideas here.

I do my tiny bathroom floor by hand with a microfiber cloth and a mix of Dr Bronner's and water. The floor is so tiny that it takes about 2 minutes.
    I do the kitchen with a spray bottle of vinegar and a microfiber mop. I do the hardwood floors in the rest of the house with the microfiber mop and spray Bruce's hardwood floor cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    I spray the floors heavily with my bottle of: water/vinegar/baking soda.
    Gardnr, I am curious about this mixture. Do you whip up a new batch each time you clean the floor? What are the proportions of water, vinegar, soda? Cold water?

Up to now, mopping has seemed too impersonal for me. I have been cleaning bathroom floors with Lysol (or store brand) disinfecting wipes. I get right down there, arm's length from the drips and hairs.

Gardnr, your method appeals to me. I can imagine playing a Karunesh CD and cleaning like a Dervish!

Yppej
    I clean the bathroom by hand. One magic eraser does it as it is small.

Other rooms I use a mop and a mixture of ammonia and water. I tried vinegar but the smell did not agree with my son.

I used a Swiffer mop until they jacked up the price of the pads to $5.00 a box (with maybe 4 per box?) even for the generic. I can buy an entire mop for $1 at Dollar Tree and it lasts longer than the box of Swiffer pads.

I might mop once a month. If I notice a dirty spot between cleanings I tackle it individually with half a paper towel or something else cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    I have an old sponge mop that I rubber band a microfiber cloth to- I wet the cloth with warm water and after I've vacuumed I use the cloth wrapped sponge mop to clean the vinyl and tile floors. I always hated sponge mops as I thought they never were clean, so when Swiffers came out I decided to just try the microfiber wrapped on the sponge- Voila! A washable mop with a handle. I use Mrs. Meyers laundry detergent for the wash and also to wash my hair..it works. I was my rags with the white laundry. Once a year or so I'll do a decent scrub on hands and knees. Like Iris Lilies house, no eating off the floor.

I never thought of spraying the floor first. I might try that.
    The light mist water lets dirty spots soak.

Our Hermann house has all hard floor surfaces. Many different kinds, many of them ugly. But I dont care, I loathe carpet. Floors will be changed in our renovation. The living room has pretty oak, one bedroom has very old pine. The rest is junk— cheap Pergo type stuff, old dark tile, etc.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 9-19-18 at 10:10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    Gardnr, I am curious about this mixture. Do you whip up a new batch each time you clean the floor? What are the proportions of water, vinegar, soda? Cold water?

Up to now, mopping has seemed too impersonal for me. I have been cleaning bathroom floors with Lysol (or store brand) disinfecting wipes. I get right down there, arm's length from the drips and hairs.

Gardnr, your method appeals to me. I can imagine playing a Karunesh CD and cleaning like a Dervish!
    Equal parts water/vinegar and 3Tbsp baking soda. I use a quart spray bottle. I use it up about once/month. It's the only cleaner in our home. Dirt cheap and quite effective.

IL, are you still getting bids for your renovation?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    IL, are you still getting bids for your renovation?
    Havent started bid process. Architect still hasnt delivered any plans.

Wow that seems slow. I love this type of thing so looking forward to following along with the progress.

Thread Information