Thread: Another cleaning question--about vacuum attachments

Another cleaning question--about vacuum attachments

I grew up in a household with an upright Hoover that we used on our wall-to-wall carpeting. When I got married, Spouse had a Rainbow canister vacuum and a bunch of attachments. The one we used (and still use) on rugs and carpet is, well, terrible, IMHO. I always feel like I'm fighting with it, especially if it's not a flat, smooth pile on the surface.

So the house we are probably buying has a lot of soft pile wall-to-wall. I plan to put area rugs in the rooms b/c the carpeting is light and we can't afford to replace it just now.

I'm thinking there has to be a better vacuum attachment than the 30+ year old one we have. Can anyone recommend one?

(We have a Shop Vac and a small canister vac meant for small jobs. It's meant for pet households; came w/something called a "Pet Paw" that we have never used as our rabbit doesn't run loose).

So the house we are probably buying
    Wait. WHAT? When did this happen??? Congratulations to you! (I got nothing on the vacuum though.)

In NJ, I'm in love with my small entry-level Miele vacuum cleaner. So well-made! But I don't have carpet, so I didn't buy one with a beater bar.

When I was coming up here, I played with the idea of the cordless Dyson Animal 8 because of its small footprint. It would take up very little space. But the price forced me to put the idea on hold until I felt I HAD to have it, which hasn't happened.

You guys have piqued my interest in a Roomba, but I truly don't think it's a "must have" for me.

Shortly after we moved up here, DH found an old shop vac at a thrift shop for $10. When I have to really do a quick vacuum and make sure I get to corners and between pine floorboards, I use that.

Otherwise, my modus operandi is a straw broom, dustpan and a good shake-out of the area rugs. That's the beauty of a 700 square foot house.

And, yes! Tell us more about this new house!!!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Oh, gosh--I am so busy with this that my head is gonna explode. We just got the signed contract back on Monday and are in that "OMG we have to get a loan and an inspection and a survey" phase. We looked at 3 or 4 houses and Spouse found one that turned out to be quite nice. There are questions about zoning, though, so it's a bit up in the air at the moment. I am not organized AT ALL and we have a house full of crap to get rid of etc. Plus I have not moved since 1999 and we're not young anymore. May have to hire movers for the big stuff.

Everyone I know who had a Dyson, it broke on them.

About the house: It's a Colonial Revival style with a sunporch (that has a radiator!!). Upstairs, there is one bedroom you can reach from the first floor. The rest is a flat. However, it wouldn't take much to put a hole in the wall and install an entry to that area, right where there used to be. The yard is a nice size, with some shade trees. It has a fake fireplace, ductless AC in two rooms, and a basement w/o water issues (unusual around here). Walk up attic. Not too fancy, but not too shabby either.

Thanks so much for the congrats!

We have a Shark. It's fantastic! And much cheaper than the crappy ORECK that was raved about years ago. It's a lightweight upright. Cannister detaches to empty and no vac bags to buy/throw away.

I have a Shark Navigator. Love it! I got it when I was considering house cleaning with a friend. She's in a growing business and looking for staff. I would have needed my own vacuum, which at that point I didn't have. I read reviews, and decided that it was the best unit for the money - a Dyson would have needed to be earned - couldn't see the cash outlay at that time. Now I use it for my tile floors - didn't go into cleaning!

I would love to have a central vacuum system, where you just plug the hose into the wall. I have hard floor, so currently use a Eureka canister vacuum. It's worked well, but my dog sheds so much that I have to empty the bag every five minutes.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Thread Information