Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Economic Outpatient Care

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Yes big difference between helping kids get a start in life versus making them dependent on you.
    Absolutely. And I agree with Tybee, too. We gave our kids their undergrad degree--anything past that was on their dime. As for houses, that will be tough but I am hoping I can maybe make small contributions when the time comes. One son already has a house--the Champlain Housing Trust gave him the down payment.

When one of my son's needed help with rent one month he asked us for it, but it took him weeks to build up the nerve and he cried on the phone when he asked, because he had never asked us for anything.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

We helped our kids when they were young and needed it. I wouldn’t help with a house down payment because we are semi-retired and need to look out for ourselves.

Yes big difference between helping kids get a start in life versus making them dependent on you.
    it's very difficult to figure out where one ends and the other begins when you are a young adult trying to figure it all out and navigate the world and what help one should take (for education etc.). I opted for extreme independence but have to wonder .. especially as money was not even kinda distributed evenly and I opted to ask for little.

I have at times been advised to ask for a fair share, but figured my parents would need that money. But would I support my mom if need be despite a sibling bankrupting her? If I could (in no position to now). Yea, the other cheek gets turned and as we were always told: "life is not fair". Mom is a sweet person though and so, both my parents were terrible parents, but mom is a nice *person* and so I would help if I could, she is happy now even in old age that she no longer has to caretake anyone, not kids, not an older spouse etc.!
    Trees don't grow on money

I think that if your kids are capable of buying a house and they choose one well below their means then you can spot them for the down payment and probably not run into trouble. But I would like to see research on that as I am speculating.

But the women I know from work who get EOC bought way too big a house for their income. And the parents helped so the kids could live upper middle class lifestyles without having to earn upper middle class salaries.

MND says the best gift you can give your kids, by way of money, is to pay their college tuition. That is really all.

My dad paid for two community college classes I took when I was 19.

He also gave me $3,000 for a Roth IRA. It is still sitting in the IRA now.

My parents have, off and on, given me a couple hundred bucks on my birthday.

Perhaps these things were very low level EOC...?

I guess it depends on the cost of the house. Here homes are starting at 350k so couldn’t give 20% of that to 5 kids without hurting our financial future.

I guess it depends on the cost of the house. Here homes are starting at 350k so couldn’t give 20% of that to 5 kids without hurting our financial future.

All the houses there are $350k+? That can't be possible. Let me zillow it. Which city are you in?

Median home is 421k. You can live in the north valleys for 239k and drive in. We are at a record high for housing costs even surpassing the bubble.

Median home is 421k. You can live in the north valleys for 239k and drive in. We are at a record high for housing costs even surpassing the bubble.
    People should just move to another state or city. It does not seem worth it to me, unless you have some bangin' ass high payin' job.

Luckily we bought before it got crazy. People are moving in like crazy due to mild 4 seasons, proximity to Tahoe and ski resorts, mountains, etc. Also Californians are retiring here. We landed a bunch of tech companies so that is bringing people in. Rents are skyrocketing and many people are finding it unaffordable.

Boise ID was recently named the fastest growing city in the USA. Median home price: $300k. $200k is what the median income family can afford. How does this work?

Reno NV just 6.5h SW of Boise? Median home hit $400k in April.

https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2018/...ies/637621002/

All I can say is I'm glad we have 2 paid for smaller homes. 1 in the city and 1 in the mountains. We're set!

Thread Information