Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Moral Pizza Dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Lainey, I think it was Alan that has said in the past that they only objected to paying for some BC like the morning after pill and not all.
    They took it all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/27/m...r-america.html

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    They took it all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/27/m...r-america.html
    And rightly so! In it's natural state, government exists to either promote or restrict liberties. People of principle should stand up at every opportunity and make their case to ensure religious liberty is not taken away.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Corporations are not people and I agree with the dissenting justices.

What about a union, or fraternal organization or homeowners association, or any other legal entity created to represent a group, are they people? Or would you suggest that any collective group loses representative rights?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I’m with Robert Reich on the corporations (“i’ll Believe corporations are people when Texas executes one”)

i’m bad at boycotts, because I don’t shop enough to matter. Usually the places I would boycott I was already avoiding. (Dd finally hit to gonto a chick-fil-a with a friend in college and reported back to me “oh my god, their food sucks!”)

there is a local grocery chain chain that would maybe notice if I boycotted them. I tried to boycott them once during a labor strike, but they resolved it so fast I didn’t need groceries.

I don’t shop a lot so only the grocery store and where I buy the dog food, treats etc would ever notice.

I am well aware that boycotting places I don't like won't impact them, but I feel like I have to live with my own moral code as best I can. So - no big box stores as much as possible, esp. WalMart. No Chick-fil-a, no Hobby Lobby, no local business that I know to be racist/misogynist/homophobic. Do they know or care? Of course not. We don't buy that much anyway (except coffee....) But if I can't be bothered to follow my own values, what does that say about me?

Yppej
    Massachusetts has a ballot initiative this year "to consider and recommend potential amendments to the United States Constitution that corporations do not have the same Constitutional rights as human beings...."

It will be interesting to see if this goes anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Massachusetts has a ballot initiative this year "to consider and recommend potential amendments to the United States Constitution that corporations do not have the same Constitutional rights as human beings...."

That's good news. AZ is also a ballot initiative state and I'd love to see that happen here too.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post

It will not go anywhere.

Thread Information