Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: “Baking”

I don't bake, partially because we don't need the carbohydrates and partially because it's not easy to "wing it" (on-the-fly substitutions, etc.) in baking recipes; the chemistry is fairly specific.

But I will note that a lowly sack of "I-made-it-from-scratch" white flour was, at one time in America, a "convenience food". Cooks no longer had to grind their own wheat into flour before doing something else with it.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

If the oven is on then it’s baking - doesn’t matter to me if it’s from a box or not.

But I don’t bake much at all, other than banana bread sometimes. That can be made pretty healthy and it’s hard to mess it up.

I don't use box cakes or brownies or tubs or tubes of cookie dough. During hot weather I tend to buy a cake if I need one. Yesterday we bought a Tippin's peach pie. My crust is so much better but I didn't want to heat up the kitchen and more importantly I didn't want to take the time to make a peach pie. I wanted to eat a peach pie right then (with vanilla bean icecream). I make pizza crust during summer because you have to have pizza but that's been about the only reason I've turned on the oven since April. I'll probably bake a cheesecake for DH's birthday on the 1st and that will start my oven season. Fall breads, cakes, cookies, pies, etc.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

DH has celiac disease, so 99% of the baking I do now is from a gluten-free mix. It works out being cheaper, easier, and better-tasting than most of the GF recipes I've made from scratch. On the odd occasion that I need to bring a baked good with gluten to an event DH isn't attending, I usually bake from scratch. Never have been able to nail pie crusts, though--my mother and grandmother had a high bar and I was never able to reach it, so I gave up.

Occasional cookies, brownies, quick breads. I do bake those items from scratch.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I love baking---I find it curiously relaxing. And I bake from scratch. I can't remember the last time I made something from a box.

I don't do it very often because hubs does not care for desserts (???) but when I get the urge (usually in fall/winter) I'll take it out to the daughter's or to my workplace.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I don’t bake as much nowadays as I used to when my family were younger. I don’t cook bread very often anymore. I bake fresh scones every couple of days, and a batch of tattie scones whenever I have leftover mashed potatoes. I bake a couple of cakes a week, specifically dor an afternoon tea (aka gossip session) with a few friends.

I bake for Christmas and Hogmanay (Scottish New Year’s Eve celebration) including Christmas puddings, Christmas cakes, Black bun and mince-pies.

If I want sweets, I have to make them, from scratch. Mostly because what I make is better-tasting than mixes or store-bought. Baking cookies or brownies is a once a week thing, usually. But then they have to last for a week, so I can't over-indulge. (If I'm craving a salty snack, I have to make popcorn--also from "scratch"--I pop the corn in a pan on the stove.)

It does cut down on the sweets, because if it's 9 pm and I don't have cookies in the house, I'm not starting to bake that late at night. I freeze the extras, and don't enjoy frozen cookies, so that also helps regulate consumption. And my office mates act like a hoard of ravenous vultures when I bring some of the extras to the office. I'm basically a lazy person. While I might want something sweet, there's many a time I'm just too lazy to go to the trouble of baking.

This time of year, I like things like pumpkin bread/muffins, with a cup of tea in the afternoon. I pretend the pumpkin and nuts make it a bit healthier.

I bake bread sometimes--I used to bake all my bread, but don't have time anymore. And things like pizza crust and pie crust (although I don't much like pie, but family does). Experimentation has shown me that commercial bakeries do a better job with bagels and pita bread than I do.

I love to bake with my daughter special desert with baking gadgets it is really an exciting experience. She is just 12 years old and she so likes to bake chocolate cake.

Thread Information