Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: “Baking”

“Baking”

Mil brought me a bunch of box tops for my school - which was nice.

she said “I have so many of them because I bake a lot.” (By which she means “make a lot of box mix cakes”)

i thought, but did not say “no, I bake a lot, which is why I have no box tops.”

do you make many desserts? Do you make them from scratch or convenience products, or both (like, Fresh pie filling in store crust, or homemade crust but canned pie filling)?

if you use mixes, do you feel like you are baking? I only feel like I am baking if I start with single item ingredients.

(i do use canned pumpkin and condensed milk in my pumpkin pie....)

I've tried to take up simple baking. My first goal was to create wonderfully flaky yeast rolls from scratch. I've made two attempts and so far, I suck.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I bake from scratch, if i cant and need a cake i buy it. My kids used some mixes when they were little, actually they got mad i wouldn't get them an ez bake oven because i let them really cook and bake. So they invented their own microwave cake recipes and had taste contests.

I am in Denver, my first thought when i saw baking in quotes was really different!

I baked when I was raising the kids. I did some from scratch and used some mixes. I quit 20 years ago. Now if I need a dessert I buy it. I only have dessert if we have company.

I bake very very few desserts, and most are from scratch. The scratch stuff is brownies, cherry dessert, cookies.

The cherry dessert uses cherries from our tree, so thst is really scratch.

breads, rolls, etc i do not do. DH does some of that.

I am glad that I took up baking.

In my experience, the first try with a recipe and equipment involved a mistake or two. If being tutored by a mentor maybe not … but I was self-taught.

My first desire was butter scones for tea... made with currants and baking powder.

Next came sourdough (bread, cornbread, pancakes), until my starter died.

Now I am baking French bread (I use flour, kosher salt, yeast, olive oil, sugar … and egg white for glaze).000_0237 (2).jpg

Most of my baking is from scratch, but I do like the occasional Ghiradeli brownie mix.

Yppej
    I sometimes bake vegetables in the oven, but I avoid grain carbs. Sometimes I cheat and eat them when they are right in front of my nose at work or I am out somewhere with limited food choices but I do not make them myself.

DH does all his baking from scratch and is scornful of mixes. He does not bake as much lately because we are trying to avoid the extra sugar and calories.

Most of what I make is from scratch, however I have a recipe or two that calls for the "contents" of a box mix, but does not utilize the directions on the box. For example, a cake using a box cake mix but the directions are an actual recipe utilizing alternative ingredients and directions. My breads are sourdough made every weekend (my starter is best that way) and maybe a quick baking powder bread during the week.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information