Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How long do we hold people responsible for sins of the past?

I don't consider attempted rape a youthful indiscretion. A crude pass, a stolen kiss, and if you're rebuffed, you apologize--those would be indiscretions. This doesn't sound anything like that.

When it comes to person crimes - forever.

Just my .02 about the lifetime appointment for Supreme Court justices - that was put in place as part of the balance of power among the three branches of the government. The idea was that the Court would be not subject to politics like the legislative and executive branches. However, since Roe v. Wade, that has deteriorated. I still think lifetime appointment is a good thing.

As far as the initial question - I do think we hold people accountable for these types of actions. They are crimes. The interesting thing is that when the folks who are being held accountable now for their actions 30, 40 or more years ago, back then, these actions were winked at. So, they are being held to a higher standard now then when they committed these crimes. Fair? Maybe, maybe not. Their victims didn't get "fair" when it happened.

I agree with the PP, even if he BK isn't held accountable for the sexual assault(s), his responses are very telling. I think he needs to step aside.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Well, I drank and smoked dope in high school. I never injured anyone under the influence.

I didn't commit a felony of any sort. Forgiven for being a teen in a rural town in the west? Gee, I hope so. For a felony? No!

I believe in second chances. As long as people take responsibility, make amends and move on in a positive way, I'm fine with accepting who they are today. Not everyone can change, but I'm a sucker for redemption stories. I practically cried when Tiger Woods won yesterday.

The people I admire the most are those who change their lives for the better. There's nothing more courageous than that.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

And what about the story of Anne Perry. When young, she and a friend killed the friend's mother. They did their time in jail and were released with new identities. She has gone on to lead a quiet life and write a huge number of quality books.

This whole issue has gotten out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post

This whole issue has gotten out of control.
    It sounds like Kavanaugh has a history of being out of control.

I am fine with people like Perry that did their time. Hopefully Cosby will do his and others like him.

I can't hold grudges for things people did in high school when they are middle aged. However, in this case, perhaps it will teach kids currently in high school that your past will come back to haunt you.

I taught my 3 boys to respect girls. If they attempted to rape someone in high school I don’t care how old they are they need to accept responsibility.

Thread Information