Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How long do we hold people responsible for sins of the past?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    It is always a WTF moment when obviously guilty people get off on a legal technicality. It is seldom anything our little non-leagally trained brains can accept. I always try to keep in mind that the justice system is not about justice, it is a legal system. It is about legality. That in itself is a great equalizer in the big picture, but once you (the generic you) enter the legal system you can’t count on justice being carried out.
    One hopes that the legal system results in justice but they are not the same. Well stated, IL.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

As much as I hate Cosby being free he never should have been convicted because of the agreement.

Calling the foolish conduct of the prosecutor "a legal technicality" I think misses the entire point of our legal system.

Might be worth reading the Court decision...

I wouldn’t want to live in a country where prosecutors can renege on agreements with suspects. I suspect most of us wouldn’t speak so disparagingly of “technicalities” if it were our life and freedom on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Calling the foolish conduct of the prosecutor "a legal technicality" I think misses the entire point of our legal system.

Might be worth reading the Court decision...
    That is how mainstream media refers to it, and that term “technicality” makes some sense if not entire sense because he wasn't let off due to findings of fact about him doing the deed(s).

But agreed that the law is the law, it is interpreted and carried out by humans, and those human don’t always act right. This is a good case to illustrate to young prosecutors how not to act.

Yppej
    He is going to do it again and get charged again. Already there is talk of a case in California still within the statute of limitations.

Cosby has a house in Western Mass. (He got a supposedly earned doctorate at UMass but didn't have to meet the normal requirements. It should have been termed an honorary doctorate.) Anyways one of the guys at work was saying he had a picture of himself with Cosby. Sure enough, there he is on the left, Cosby on the right, and squeezed in the middle next to Cosby thigh to thigh on this couch is a pretty young woman less than half his age, who my coworker told me was Cosby's employee. I felt sorry for her, wondering what she might be subject to - leering glances at a minimum I would think.

Andrew Luster committed similar crimes in California. His 124-year sentence was eventually modified to 50, IIRC. I thought ten would have been fair, but what do I know. At any rate, he's probably wishing he'd had a better attorney about now.

Cosby looks like he's home from a spa weekend, and no longer lame or blind, apparently.

Thread Information