Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Oregon

Cool Hello from Oregon

I am excited to have found this group as I begin my struggle as how to live a minimalist lifestyle. Having moved numerous times over the years, I never fully came to terms with how much stuff I have accumulated. In the past week I found myself relocating again and the overwhelming amount of stuff is out of control.
    My motivation is the amount of clutter I have seemed to generate which fills not only my living space, but my life in general. About 8 years ago I lived in a studio apartment and life was incredibly simple and manageable with how little stuff I kept on hand.
    I can't wait to learn how others move forward with this lifestyle change. I do realize it is about far more than getting rid of things. My biggest internal struggle will be with downsizing the amount of camo, fishing, hunting gear, kitchen appliances and cutlery/flatware. Curious what limitations others place on items in their life for duplicates. As I have started unpacking, I realize my kitchen appliances along with hunting/fishing gear are the root of my clutter. For me the challenge is letting go of my emotional connection to the items I have. Looking forward to learning how others manage this process.

Welcome, NWcruiser. Happy to have you join us on the Forum!

Yes, welcome! Looking forward to hearing about your progress in minimalism!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by NWcruiser View Post
    I am excited to have found this group as I begin my struggle as how to live a minimalist lifestyle. Having moved numerous times over the years, I never fully came to terms with how much stuff I have accumulated. In the past week I found myself relocating again and the overwhelming amount of stuff is out of control.
    My motivation is the amount of clutter I have seemed to generate which fills not only my living space, but my life in general. About 8 years ago I lived in a studio apartment and life was incredibly simple and manageable with how little stuff I kept on hand.
    I can't wait to learn how others move forward with this lifestyle change. I do realize it is about far more than getting rid of things. My biggest internal struggle will be with downsizing the amount of camo, fishing, hunting gear, kitchen appliances and cutlery/flatware. Curious what limitations others place on items in their life for duplicates. As I have started unpacking, I realize my kitchen appliances along with hunting/fishing gear are the root of my clutter. For me the challenge is letting go of my emotional connection to the items I have. Looking forward to learning how others manage this process.
    I am an angler as well and I have very, very little gear. But I still catch a ton of fish. I am sure we can workshop ideas!

Welcome to the forum!

Hello from another Oregonian!

Hello and welcome! De-cluttering -- and how to avoid the clutter in the first place -- is a frequent topic here. I'm sure you'll get some great ideas and be able to offer some new perspectives as well.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I love to visit Oregon. So beautiful. We have done a ton of decluttering and so really think about purchases before buying now. We spend more of our money now on experiences versus things.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Welcome from someone who spent five years living in close in SE Portland - back in the early to mid 90's when it was actually affordable to live there. Rob
    Last edited by gimmethesimplelife; 9-25-18 at 8:56pm.

Hi NWC, I'm in the wonderful (tho' sometimes smokey) Rogue Valley.

I don't know much about hunting & fishing gear, but there are lots of posts here about de-stuffing your stuff.

There seem to be 2 main schools of thought:
    The 3 Box Method: one box for stuff you'll keep, one for things to go to trash, and a third for items to sell or donate. I like to have a 4th box, the "undecided" box. I find this is mostly sentimental stuff, and after putting it away and not looking at it for 6 months or so, I'm then usually able to toss most of it and keep just a few things.

The Marie Kondo method (from the book The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up) : with this method you handle every item you own and feel if it "Sparks joy" inside you. It's time consuming but effective. I highly recommend the book (from your local library

Welcome!

Thread Information