Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Micropolitics: Things that happen in our neighborhood

Micropolitics: Things that happen in our neighborhood

Random things:

I find myself embarrassed to put Cardboard that has been wet and is now dry in the landfill dumpster. This is where it should go. It should not go into recycle dumpster because once cardboard has been wet the fibers are ruined for recycling. Yet what if my neighbors find that I have put cardboard in a Landfill dumpster? They don’t know that the cardboard is not fit for recycling. Oh what a dilemma, what a dilemma.Have we come to the point in our society where I should put a note on it to say this cannot be recycled, was wet, I know it! signed iris lilies
    Last edited by iris lilies; 9-24-18 at 11:19pm.

haha! first of all, I had no idea you shouldn't recycle cardboard that has gotten wet.

Second, I can't believe you care what your neighbors think.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Well, at least it wasn't a plastic straw. Those evil things have to go in a landfill whether they got wet or not...

So I learned something today.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    haha! first of all, I had no idea you shouldn't recycle cardboard that has gotten wet.

Second, I can't believe you care what your neighbors think.

Well, DH and I take the sorting of garbage seriously. We have three large bins in our alley: garden green stuff, landfill stuff, bottle/cans/paper recycling and we sort carefully. We break down our boxes. We bitch and moan when others do not break down their boxes. We have one other serious recycler on our block and he is the guy who worries me—will he think we are ignoramuses for placing cardboard in the landfill bin?

This serious stuff! The politics of recycling...

I only recently learned anput cardboard that once wet, our recycler cannot use it. Perhaps yoir companies vary in that requirement. This is a problem foe us because I store objects for recycling on our patio. Sometimes it rains on them.

We each have our own big recycling can with a lid. I break down the boxes so everything fits but rarely anything gets wet. I am serious about recycling too)

Ok, so here is another “political” thing. I will term these things “micro politics” of the neighborhood.

One new enthusiastic community garden member was yakking about waste in garden beds, “ food insecurity” of our fellow citizens, and her thoughts about picking that foodstuff going to waste.

Well, I can hardly roll my eyes far enough to express my boredom with this tired idea. About every 2 years someone gets a bee on their bonnet to take up all of this food and deliver to “the needy. “ That effort lasts about one time, maybe two, usually a couple of weeks.

I have nothing against her contacting all bed owners and getting their permission to pick their produce. I have MAJOR issue with her commandering the veggies and fruits on ner own without permission of owners, which is what she wants to do. Oh yeah, I forgot to say that we invented a new system this year where garden bed owners may place a yellow stake in their bed, and that indicates the veggies can be picked,by anyone. Intended to happen when on vacation, but really, any time is fine.

I dutifully made the yellow stakes (all the while rolling my eyes as I knew this is another feel-good effort that
    ikely will come to naught) and sent email reminders out to everyone, sent a reminder out again. Not ONE person has used these stakes.

I respect property rights and these people have paid for a garden plot and are keeping it up, according to our Gardener’s Agreement. There is no covenant that empowers this new garden member to grab produce from others, empathy overflowing or not, quivering ball of concern or not.

So, taking from the rich (in tomatoes) to give to the poor (without tomatoes) is her jam.

amyway, I told her my view of this, but encouraged her to be The garden Leader next year and maybe work this issue into a new Agreement where bed owners would sign away their rights to “excess” produce. She will have to get this voted on by all and I think she will have a hellofa time.

We take our extra fruit to soup kitchens but I sure wouldn’t take other people’s. That would take a lot of nerve.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    We take our extra fruit to soup kitchens but I sure wouldn’t take other people’s. That would take a lot of nerve.
    To be fair, she is viewing it in the context of unkept beds. But I say, unkept bed is a separate issue from unpicked fruits.

Last year we had a random goody dooby, not even a resident here, who hatched an elaborate plan to bring “the homeless” into our community garden to harvest and also clean beds. So much empatheic problem solving and do-gooder energy! ideas! She is an idea person, I could tell.

Stupid woman didnt even know there was a community garden in her own neighborhood that runs according to the communist principles she espouses. That garden is worked by a few so all can pick from it, and that is cool because thems the rules there.

I don’t get people intruding in others plans. If you want to do something don’t infringe on existing resources.

Thread Information