Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Rule of Law

The Rule of Law

So, it used to be the that the republican party were the "rule of law" party. Recently though the head of that party started routinely tweeted his disdain for the rule of law. The latest tweet-storm happened today when his campaign manager pleaded guilty and apparently agreed to cooperate with the prosecution. Apparently in the head of the republican party's mind if you committed a crime more than a few years ago that crime should be ignored. Because you must be a good person. Like a Nazi who ran someone over with his car. Or something.

The republican politician class responded with a yawn.

I'm curious. For all the conservatives among us is this an issue for you or have you given up your honor in the same way that your politician class has? And if you haven't given up your honor what are you doing? Wringing your hands like turtle face while doing absolutely nothing? Or something else?

Generally speaking, most laws should be taken seriously and if you do the crime, you do the time.

Yppej
    Don't expect anyone up for re-election to develop a backbone. The few Republicans who speak up are retiring, and one is now dead.

I read recently that there is an exodus of people from many evangelical churches because they can’t handle the fact that their church supports the Republicans at this point in our country‘s history.

I believe in the rule of law and expect justice to be blind when it comes to ensuring punishment fits the crime for those found guilty. I don't like it when politics enter the picture and removes the blindfold from Justitia's eyes in hopes she'll find a crime to justify the punishment politicians want to impose.

If you believe that's a stain on my honor, I respectfully submit you don't understand honor.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

"Turtle face" is as complicit as sin.

"Find a crime?" It seems the DOJ has found scores of them--unless you think money laundering, racketeering, etc. is just business as usual.

Some people like my husband don’t watch the news or read it so are totally ignorant about what is going on. The rest are pretending it’s not really happening I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I believe in the rule of law and expect justice to be blind when it comes to ensuring punishment fits the crime for those found guilty. I don't like it when politics enter the picture and removes the blindfold from Justitia's eyes in hopes she'll find a crime to justify the punishment politicians want to impose.

If you believe that's a stain on my honor, I respectfully submit you don't understand honor.
    Indeed. The practically non-stop witch hunt on Hillary was certainly wearying and ultimately a huge waste of time and money.

I didn't vote for the man. I felt him to be insufficiently conservative and an obnoxious, duplicitous poltroon. However, that does not mean I feel ethically obligated to support a "resistance" which I see as equally unsavory.

i understand that in callout culture a smear is as good as an argument, but in the larger world there are those who don't recognize the superior authority of "you're either with us or against us" .

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I didn't vote for the man. I felt him to be insufficiently conservative and an obnoxious, duplicitous poltroon. However, that does not mean I feel ethically obligated to support a "resistance" which I see as equally unsavory.

i understand that in callout culture a smear is as good as an argument, but in the larger world there are those who don't recognize the superior authority of "you're either with us or against us" .
    wishy-washy

Thread Information