Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: credit cards, and getting approved

I wouldn't go store card. Go Capital One. yes, you'll get a high interest rate. Use it for things you buy anyway that are inside your budget: the grocery store, gas etc. Pay it off in full each month-don't pay ahead. Pay on time.

My Cap One fee is $19/year. Very reasonable.

I don't feel comfortable with the store card and returning, not ethical to me and there are better ways. The only store card i would consider is target. I buy clothes and gifts there and can pay them off right away.

My Capitol one has no fee

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    My Capitol one has no fee
    There wasn't a no fee decades ago. I'm not willing to cancel our longest standing credit report to save $19/yr. This is longer than either of our mortgages!

Ours are only 5 years old

If you already shop at Target, they even give 5% off for their card users or has that changed? I would recommend one but I don't shop at Target. Found their merchandising was just too good and made me liable for impulse purchases.

Never have had a credit card that cost us. We look only for ones that benefit us. Our first one 45 years ago was at Sears and we had to convince the credit manager to give us a $200 limit one even though we had each had a full time job. I remember that conversation to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    If you already shop at Target, they even give 5% off for their card users or has that changed? I would recommend one but I don't shop at Target. Found their merchandising was just too good and made me liable for impulse purchases.

Never have had a credit card that cost us. We look only for ones that benefit us. Our first one 45 years ago was at Sears and we had to convince the credit manager to give us a $200 limit one even though we had each had a full time job. I remember that conversation to this day.
    We get far more rewards from our Capital One card than the $19 fee. Rewards program gets us free plane tickets, free hotels when we travel. We can buy with our points or we can redeem for recent purchases. It is fabulous. We use it for every purchase possible and have done a great deal of free traveling.

We get cash back with our free Capital one.

My credit is trashed for several reasons. That recession had several impacts, the house losing 100K in value, not getting a job that paid enough, and a divorce. I got through all of that, paid the chapter 13, have my student loans in good standing, etc. and my credit score is under 600.
    well I find it very inspirational you got to a much better place eventually career and financial wise. Ok no practical advice but I'm sure you'll find a way (the store card sounds good, buy a few things you need or even just want so long as you are sure you could pay it off next month).

Not super inspirational here, though likely have some temporary opportunities soon. But your story is inspirational, in a world in which it seems we have very little control, but it's nice to see it gets better sometimes and I know it's been long and hard and demanding.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post

Sometimes I get sad, I had a excellent credit score for many years. Things happen,
    I hear ya. I had very bad credit for several years for many reasons I don't need to discuss. I have recovered beautifully--too well, IMHO.

I think anyone who knows will tell you that it only takes 2 years to restore your credit rating. Unless you're a Dave Ramsey devotee, you're on the right track with trying to find a credit card that will help build your credit.

I would get any credit card that will give you enough of a credit limit to get started. You don't have to pay early--that doesn't impress creditors. They don't even know. It's all computerized. The red flag goes off only when you are late. A gas credit card is not a bad one to try. You have to buy gas--and it would be an easy balance to pay off when it's due.

Or try the credit union or one of the other "second chance" types of credit cards, and just make a small purchase of you would buy anyway, and pay it off before the due date.

Also, make sure you keep your balance below 30% of your available credit. That's another thing credit bureaus use to evaluate your credit score.

But most of all, remember that you are NOT your credit score.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information